Meaties @ 18%?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SmokinChick, Apr 1, 2012.

1. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    My Cornish X's are doing well. 1 week old.
    From everything I have gleaned from here and other sites, I should be feeding a 20%-24% protein mix. The local feed mill that supplies several local farms,CSA's and small flock raisers, like myself. Recommends a 18% mash. Other then a slower growth rate am I inviting any other issues? The chicks seem to love it.
    I was planning to follow the 12 hr on 12 hr off feeding schedule, but with a lower protein, do I need to stop feeding @ night?
    P.S. The mash clogs in the gravity feeders. What a pain. Any insight on this issue would be helpful.

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I am raising my first cornish now so I don't have alot of experience. I have been feeding Purina Flock Raised 20% protein. I would think the only thing you would run into would be cost issues. Because of the lower protein, growth will be slower (as you said) and you will need to keep them longer until they are typical processing weight. They eat like pigs and it is CRAZY the amount of food mine have gone through. At 1 week my 17 cornish ate more than my 5 chickens, 2 ducks and 6- 6 week old ducklings combined.

I processed 7 at about 4 weeks and they were 2 lbs cleaned. I will be processing the rest in about 2 weeks.

As for the feeder, I have no suggestions. Never fed mash because of the heat down here and potential spoilage.

Good luck

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    We feed 20% from start to finish, plus vitamins and electrolytes in their water, in 6-8 weeks . Feeding a lower protein, like jdywntr said growth is going to be slower, but that is OK too. It may be a little easier on them. But next time I would at least start out on the higher protein for at least a couple of weeks, then you can drop down the % if you want to. Either way, they are going to be :drool

4. SowdersHomestead

SowdersHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Fostoria, Ohio
    I've always raised mine on 18%. They grow fine. My current batch is at 6 weeks and weigh over 5 lbs.

Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by