Meaties are here.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Tiffrz-N-Kidz, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    I finally caved and am going to try my hand at the Cornish-X. Ordered 25 from Welp and they arrived this morning happy and peeping at the PO. Unfortunately due to time constraints they will have to sit another 4 hours in transit before I can get them home to their 'nursery' but they have a toasty warm window to sit in so they should be fine.

The last batch I did was the capons and that was quite rewarding. Those were processed at 20 weeks for about 3 1/2 lbs of meat each. The plan for these is to process the largest at 7 weeks during the week before Thanksgiving. (Friends are doing their turkeys then so I plan to help in exchange for getting mine done.)

We'll see how this works out.

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Goodluck w/ your CX. It will be intersting to hear what you think about raising these compared to the capons. Did you keep good records on the feed intake of your capons and are you going to track the feed on these for comparision? One thing is for sure.......you shouldn't have hardly any birds under 3 1/2 pounds at seven weeks. If you got str8 run, you may have a few pullets near that weight, but your cockerals will be over 4 1/2 pounds, or at least they should be. As much as I see you in this section, I'm guessing you have done enough reading on here to know that the CX is a different animal than DP birds, and will raise them accordingly.

3. hydroswiftrob

hydroswiftrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    N. Texas
    My Coop
    Awesome! I will be following! Keep us updated.

4. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    Thanks ya'll. I had planned to keep detailed feed records on the capons and actually, I did, until Animal Control busted me and I had to move them to the alternate facility and put them in with the layers. Then everything hit the fan and well, that's that but the upside is now I am starting over but I have a farm!

So I guess I'll start the record keeping with this batch and yes, I am painfully aware that they are a whole 'nuther animal altogether. Which frightens me a little.

Off to buy non-medicated chick starter. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by