Meaties headed to freezer camp -see the picture of my BIG BIRD :)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jemmasgrandma, Dec 3, 2010.

1. jemmasgrandma

jemmasgrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    [​IMG] counting the days till Wednesday... wow, I can't believe the meaties are almost 8 weeks old and ready to go to freezer camp!! See the big guy in the middle??? He's the only bird that I have left (from the first batch of 52) that I got the first of September -- he is 13 weeks 3 days old, I'm going to weigh him tommorrow... the rest in the picture are 7 weeks. My first batch got attacked by a beagle, horrible day but mooved on with a new batch of 50...

[​IMG]

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Awesome! I have one that was born August 27th, so they are close in age. I'm curious to see how much he weighs. My Nugget free ranges, and I plan on letting him keep going until his health starts going downhill. Right now he can jog short distances (to food!) [​IMG] has a favorite tree he takes naps under, and makes my Dark Cornish feel like the "petite princess" she knows she is on the inside! [​IMG]

I just don't feel like there's any reason to do him in if he's in good health. [​IMG] He's happy and enjoying himself. When his weight gets too much, he'll be delicious. I have a feeling it won't be too much longer, but he can still outrun me! LOL!

He's my last survivor from our big batch, too. I enjoy the big goofy thing! [​IMG]

Shelly

3. jemmasgrandma

Apr 27, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Quote:I know what you mean... I enjoy watching this big guy too [​IMG] In fact I almost hold my breath when I go out to check them in the morning..would hate to find him dead [​IMG] He had a girlfriend but she died (flip?) 2 weeks ago... sure hoping he makes it till Wednesday [​IMG]

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Did you get a weight on him yet? [​IMG]

5. lsv313

lsv313 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Everett, WA
    We just butchered our last 3 from the same hatch yesterday! Most of them we killed the end of October, but a couple were smaller so we kept them, and then one got really sick so we had to give her antibiotics and wait a month after that until they all got out of her system. So, the last 3 made it to 13 weeks [​IMG] And there were HUGE! We don't have a scale, but they're probably 10-15 lbs dressed. I couldn't believe how heavy they were! For the last few weeks, I was always nervous to check on them too- afraid they'd be dead from flip. But they survived strong and healthy. At least one of the roos even started to crow! They survived snow storms, sub freezing temperatures, and were still roaming out all over the yard on butcher day. I am sad that they are gone though - they were so friendly - friendlier than all of our egg hens! They would always waddle over to me to say hi and follow me around the yard - and it wasn't a food thing because they would leave their food dish to follow me. Oh well, I'll just have to get some more next year! [​IMG]

6. Rooster#3

Rooster#3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    wisconsin
    nice we let our birds get bigger than the rooster in the middle but we butchered 8 yesterday and i dont know how many we can do today [​IMG]

7. jemmasgrandma

Apr 27, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    He weighed 14.6 lbs -dressed 11.2 --haha looks just like a turkey [​IMG]

8. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Quote:Awesome job on the jumbo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by