meaties in pvc tractor (pics)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Kim_NC, May 23, 2010.

1. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Our current batch of meaties in the new pvc tractor. They're right at home eating the grasses and clover in our small orchard.

[​IMG]

DH is standing to the side (out of view). Just like true meaties, they all dash over to see what he has, even though the feeders are half full!

[​IMG]

We move the tractor EVERY morning, faithfully. Look at the path left in their wake. DH said it's not a tractor, it's a bush hog.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Looking good... I wish i could have finished my PVC tractor.. Its looks soooo light compared to my hoop house monstrosity....

3. har

har Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Rogers,Ar
    Quote:I was thinking about building one just like yours but can you tell me the purpose of the square in the middle

4. Didelphus

Didelphus Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    Looks great! I love the path of destruction they leave.
    I love my PVC tractor. I can move it myself whereas the fence board/wood monstrosity of a tractor we has to have two people and a tractor to move!
    Laura

5. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    That is incredible!!!

I've been thinking of raising some meaties next year or the year after, but now I'm not so sure that I'll have enough natural graze LOL. How many do you have in there?

ETC(edited to corredt) a stupid spelling mistake.

6. Kim_NC

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Thank you All!

Har - Dh says the square in the middle seems to be mostly for structural support reasons. I suppose it could work as a staging area for feeders, water, etc.

Laura - yeah, they're easy to move. We like that too.

Gettinaclue - There are 85 in there.

7. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    Wow!! That's going to be one stocked freezer!!!

What are the dimentions?
    How did you attach the wire to the PVC?

Sorry for the questions, but hubby and I really like the design, cost effectiveness, and that it easy to move.

ETC another stupid spelling mistake.

8. Kim_NC

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
  9. Esteri

Esteri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    We made this same tractor. I left off the square thing in the middle. On the plans it was called a "feeder". Say what? It didn't appear to add anything to the soundness of the structure, so I left it off. Haven't had any problems with it not being there. I did put in an extra door on the side. Easier for small children to get in to move the roosts and stuff. So, we have two doors - one on top and one on the side.

The "girls" are in it now. But as soon as the tractor with nesting boxes is complete, they're moving out and the (currently week old) meaties are moving in. My husband came up with this really interesting design for the other coop. Removable nesting boxes for easy cleaning. I should take pictures.

10. frozen1

frozen1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    ALASKA
    Quote:YES please take pictures would love to see it! thanks:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by