Meaties in Winter?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Guccibirds423, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Guccibirds423

Guccibirds423 Chillin' With My Peeps

So I have raised meaties one time before it was in the spring. I was was thinking about ordering cornisg x the first of january and raising them until march. The temp her gets in the low 40s and some times the 30s during the day. and usually low 20s at night in the winter. I was wondering If it would be safe for me to raise them here during january and feb. with temps like that. I am using a chicken tractor. It is 10 x 10 covered with heavy tarp. Could I put 2 heat lamps in there and put the chicks out with in the first week or 2? Would it be possible. I am worried aboutt he temps. but i dont wanna raise them in spring or summer where temps can get pretty warm here.

2. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    were I live we are getting into the 30s at night and I would say the feed to grow ratio is more for a winter batch Im processing my last 10 meat birds monday, and it will be my last winter batch. I live in the NW its too cool and damp this time of year.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I would certainly agree that your meaties eat a lot more in the winter and that it goes toward keeping warm rather than making muscle. It seems to me that off all the chicken breeds I've had, CornishX (if that is the breed we are talking about) are the most sensitive to...everything....heat, cold, stress. I do not think they would fare well as chicks only living in a tarp covered tractor. I am not sure of the feathering on Cornish, either. I know my spring, summer, and fall raised Cornish seem to have sparse feathering on the breast and rear...also not so great for the cold. Perhaps in the winter they are more feathered. Just my opinion - hope whatever you decide workds out!

4. TamTurkey

TamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    the key to raising CX is temp control they have been engineered for a commercial enviroment. I think you should raise a more hearty chicken who can adapt easier. I don't know what that would be as I only raise CX

5. Guccibirds423

Guccibirds423 Chillin' With My Peeps

I will just wait until spring time.

6. TamTurkey

TamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    Ive heard great things about rangers being hearty birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by