1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Meaties progression pictures

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by lynn1961, Mar 18, 2012.

1. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    [​IMG]I started my meat bird project a couple of weeks ago. Here are pics of the 1st bunch at week two and the second bunch at week one.
    [​IMG]

2. lynn1961

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    Groups one and two are now out in the shed with a heat lamp, put them all togather with the others that are being brooded, so going on the second week and third week on the frowth of the meaties, the other birds large fowl birs range from age 3 week ( production reds ) 4 weeks ( jersey giants, Buff orpingtons ) and 5 weeks ( welsummer, easter egger cockrel and one welsummer x easter egger pullet)
    This mixture will be the bases for my crossbred meat type bird, that will hopefuly lay decent and mature fairly fast, I am hoping that one or two of the meaty females will grow slow enough to add to the mix.
    [​IMG]
    I would love to see pictures and hear about everyone elses meaties and their meaty bird projects.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I will get my cornish cross meat birds next month. :celebrate

4. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    I would get them off that newspaper and unto something with a bit more traction. Spraddle leg is NOT fun to deal with.

5. lynn1961

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    They are off of the paper, got them onto different bedding shortly after the 1st pictures, they are now in the grow out pen with heat lamps. [​IMG]

6. lynn1961

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    [​IMG]3rd and 4th week for the meaties, 4 to 6 weeks on the others.
    The meaties are fat and growing like crazy, they are eating their fair share of the feed and someone elses now !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Did learn something about the meaties this week, they can no longer get their heads into a chick feed tray to eat very well, they are too big.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by