Meaties raised to feed Dogs/Cats, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by secuono, Sep 30, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I have pet Bantam chickens, but, after this weeks long scare with my Doberman, I am needing to switch to raw food. I wanted to know, how should I go about doing this?
    How many birds do I need to have enough for my 2 dogs and 2 cats? I was thinking, half a pound split for the cats. Half for the mutt and 2.5lbs for the big dog A DAY.
    So 105lbs a month.
    I could keep the cats on dry kibble and a can, I don't mind.
    90lbs for just the dogs.

How long until they are ready to be axed?
    I was going to feed them everything, but the guts. So that should give them more food than if I bought just the basic chicken parts people usually eat.

Anything else I should know?
    Anyone else do this?

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    our wolf who was huge (100+#) and exercised non stop, ate a pound of chicken a day. you feed less when it's solid protien

3. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Hm, I've read up on raw forums and such and did the math they had and it said my dobie needed 2-2.5lbs. I will look it up and see if I can find different amounts. It would be great if a pound would be enough for him, lol. He's 85-88lbs.

4. malignstar

malignstar Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    Winfield, MO
    2-3% of their ideal adult body weight is what you should be feeding. Sometimes active dogs require 4% and sometimes less active, older, or obese animals need to eat alittle less than 2%. I am actually getting ready to raise chickens for my 2 dogs and 2 cats in the spring. I feed LOTS of venison which is free, to help even out high costs (because really, you can buy chicken for 49c/lb in the store). I also plan to raise rabbits and quail and have my guys mostly off grocery store meat, which is not raised humanely enough for my taste, nor does it have the correct balance of omega 3's and omega 6's. If you feed commercially produced meat then just add fish oil and it's perfect. As far as raising the chickens, you can feed everything. The only things I don't feed are the intestines and crop. I've started to skin the carcass now instead of painstakingly plucking, clean the gizzard, remove the bile duct from the liver and toss the intestines and crop. It's going to be expensive to raise your own birds for such a large dog. I think I've seen like an average of $7 per bird just in feed to grow them to butcher weight about 8 weeks if raising cornish x. That doesn't count building all your cages, the initial start up, purchasing the chicks and so on. I thought about raising up some dual purpose that I could hatch eggs from but they just don't have a whole lot of meat on them from what I've seen. I might try some freedom rangers and carefully pick the best ones to breed. I think they have a fair amount of meat. You don't wanna spend the money raising a bird only to have a scrawny, mostly bone carcass. I haven't all figured it out yet what I'm going to do with mine but I've got until March-April.

5. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    My Australian Cattle Dogs get, one chicken back and one neck each for supper.
    If I am feeding them lamb necks they get one each.

I also feed them a bit of pure pumpkin pulp with 1/4 tsp kelp on it. Pumpkin is supposed to be good for the gut.

According to the website KELP will benefit your pet by:

• Promoting dental health, fresh breath and removal of plaque and tartar for healthy teeth & gums
    • Restoring their natural pigmentation and bringing out the vibrancy in their coat color
    • Maintaining skin & coat health reducing excessive shedding and replenishing moisture in their skin to prevent flaking
    • Increasing circulation
    • Alleviating arthritis pain and reducing joint inflammation
    • Supporting its immune system to fight off disease and allergies
    • Aiding with digestion and increasing metabolism
    • Maintaining their thyroid to keep them at a healthy weight
    • Increasing their stamina and endurance

6. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    Quote:man sorry to get off topic but where did you get a wolf lol

7. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Good to see this post. I am in the process of changing my dog over to all homemade meals. She has had major allergies while on commercial dog food and I've tried some of the best. She has been totally on chicken for the past two weeks and the rash on her bellly has pretty much gone. She also suffers from ear infections which the vet says is from the allergies. I have a guestion though. I have been pressure cooking her chicken so that the bones will become mush before I give them to her. She only weighs 20lbs and I am afraid to let her have the whole bones. I would rather go raw but I also don't want to give her the store bought chicken uncooked. How do you keep your dogs from choking on the bones? Help please for a newbie of going raw!

8. malignstar

malignstar Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    Winfield, MO
    My 20 lb dogs eat raw bones. They are DESIGNED to eat raw meat.. that's what those impressive teeth are for in their mouths. If your dog gulps food then you can remedy that by teaching her to "chew" by offering a piece about half the size of her head that she has to work at. Once a dog starts to crunch the bone, they don't really try and gulp it anymore until it gets small enough to swallow. Dogs don't need to "chew" their food anyway. Watch a wolf eat. They tear chunks off and swallow. You don't see them taking any amount of time to make sure every piece of bone is properly crushed. By cooking the meat you are killing off essential nutrients and doing your dog a huge disservice.

ETA: Here's my (actually) 17 lb dog finishing a whole roo.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  9. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    would it be a wise idea to feed cats bantam culls ?

10. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:man sorry to get off topic but where did you get a wolf lol

I live in Idaho [​IMG]

He was quite well fed on a pound a day, I even par boiled it because I hated handling it raw. Perhaps the differnce in my pound and what the web sites are telling you, is that mine was boneless and skinless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by