Meaties, when can I give them kitchen or table scraps?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by obsessed, Feb 14, 2009.

1. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I have read that we can give chicken table or kitchen scraps. At what age would you do that for meaties? I was hoping to keep some of the feed cost down. Any recommendations as to what or what not to give them?

2. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    You can always try a little after you take them off the starter. Chickens are like a garbage disposal. Lettuce, pasta, rice, potatoes, any vegetable. Ours didn't like carrot peelings but loved the slop bucket from canning tomatoes. They kept my carrot tops trimmed so low our carrots were smaller than my pinky finger. Ate the beet tops in the garden, ate the raddish tops if we cut them but not the turnip tops. Go figure. They would kill for a tomatoe and love raspberries. Ok I'm rambling. Have fun and watch how they will run if you come in with a bucket in your hand.

Try it and if it is there the next day throw it away. I bought one of those rubber hog troughs at Tractor supply. The bigger one and I put the food scraps in there. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Somewhere on here is a list of things they shouldn't have, but most kitchen scraps are fine.

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i feed all my chicks kitchen scraps at 2 months..

5. Peruvian

Peruvian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    Quote:Your meat birds ate all that? I assume they weren't CX or Freedom Rangers.

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

my birds ( not meaties) can eat as much as a pig when it comes to food scraps..

7. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes you can give them any table scraps or kitchen scraps you can come up with. Chickens can handle anything you can (besides salt) and many many things you can't.

8. Peruvian

Peruvian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    The OP was specifically asking about meat birds. I'm assuming he means Cornish X or Free Rangers, otherwise 'dual purpose' or no reference to 'meat bird' would have been necessary. I found that CXs eat a little bit of table scrap (apples for example) but don't really go after it like layers do. I suspect it's mostly because they are so young and don't really know any better. I'd put the scraps into their food tough so they know that they are supposed to eat it (they're not particularly bright [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by