meaties

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chicken nanny, Nov 8, 2009.

1. chicken nanny

chicken nanny Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    Could some please tell me if there is any place to get meaties now. Dose welps have them year round?

2. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Welp has them year round but only ships on Wednesdays.

3. chicken nanny

Jun 18, 2009
    thanks

4. chicken nanny

Jun 18, 2009
    has anybody had any doing with welps and the meaties good are bad??

thanks

5. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Ideal poultry has them too

6. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Where are you from? There are many hatcheries still hatching broilers year round. Even up in the colder climates, they still hatch as well. In fact most hatcheries only hatch broilers and sex links year round as they can buy the eggs on a steady basis.

7. chicken nanny

Jun 18, 2009
    I live in central Illinois.... Dont know if this is a good idea or not to get them, this time of year.... Thanks a lot

8. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
  9. chicken nanny

Jun 18, 2009
    have you ever used this hatchery before?

10. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Chicken Nanny, Hello, I live in north central Illinois (N of I 80 and W of I 39). I raised two batches of Cornish X broilers this summer. I got them from Schlecht Hatchery, Miles, Iowa (they have a website but being new I don't know how to link it). I believe they have finished hatching for 2009 but I emailed about 2010 and they will be hatching in January. I got 26 May 25th and brought 26 to the processors 6 weeks and 2 days later (had a vacation planned so needed to send them at that time). Smallest was 3.25 lbs and largest 4.78 lbs. They were on Purina and Dumor Starter (24%) until 4 weeks and then on Flock Raiser (20%) until processing. The second round was delivered on August 26th. Ordered 25, got 27, took 26 to the processors 7 weeks 1 day later. Smallest 4.35 lbs, largest 6.12, had 5 roos between 6 lbs and 6.12 lbs. These were on 28% Turkey Starter for 4 weeks and on a Feed Mill broiler feed (22%) until processing. I think the higher protein helped the second group. Both groups were brooded inside and then put in a Joel Salatin type tractor, scaled down to 8 x 5 for my smaller batches, when they got their feathers, between 3 and 4 weeks old. I won't be doing another batch this late again. The cold rainy weather made moving the tractor and keeping them and their food dry difficult Rain in the summer was a relief to them, in the fall it was just bone chilling. I will be ordering again next year.
    I would highly recommend Schlecht as a smaller family owned hatchery with great service and products. Their selection may not be as large as the "big guys" but I have been very happy with their stock. I also got 10 straight run Silver Laced Wyandottes for replacements for my egg layers and to start a small home flock. All were healthy and I got 5 pullets and 5 cockerels. I kept three of the hens and sold the other 2 with a rooster partner. The other 3 roos went with the second batch of Cornish X to the processor. They weighed between 3.45 and 3.78 lbs at 20 weeks. They were in with the girls with no special diet. The remaining three pullets have started laying within the past week and a half. Hope you enjoy your meatie experience, I'm hooked on homeraised! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by