MECTIN drenches... WHP for hatching or consuption

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mixed Pen, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Mixed Pen

Mixed Pen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Hi..
    My vet recommended i use a mectin drench (the same i use for my livestock) on the chickens, but obviously not WHP mentioned because its not made for chickens..

for meat it is 14 days for milk 28 days.. would you go 28 days for eggs too?? and what about to hatch?? my brother has a broody hen and want to hatch some chicks, will they be okay??

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Why did the vet recommend it? Do your birds have mites, lice or worms?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Most vets have no clue when it comes to chickens.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. Mixed Pen

Dec 17, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    to treat worms and lice and red mites (i also used the lice/mite powder) but the mectin drench was for the worms the powder cant get

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

What's the active ingredient of a mectin drench?

-Kathy

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Possibly Ivermectin? At least that's what I thought it was. Most worms are resistant to Ivermectin now from it's overuse.

8. Mixed Pen

Dec 17, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    ivermectin, my birds have never been wormed before so i dont know if they would be resistant or not

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    This is what I use. I only worm perhaps twice a year when things are wet here. I use DE for mites though to be honest I've never seen any. I dust all nest boxes when cleaning and inside the coop when cleaning. Making sure to get the corners and any wet areas. Then I toss a bunch of DE on top of the wood shavings since the birds will roll in them when they're fresh.

You will get varying opinions on many matters but I say choose the one the works for you. Try to keep things clean and dry and there should be no trouble. Warm and humid is a disaster waiting to happen.

[​IMG]

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Only way to know for sure would be to have fecals done before and after worming.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by