Med breed chicks that will do well in cold winters? ( when grown)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vjbakke, Mar 24, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I have been looking up breeds that do well in cold winters. All I have seen so far are heavy breeds. Are there any med breeds ( egg layers) that handle cold ( mn) winters well? This is our first time with chicks, so we are getting everything all planned out right now.

Thanks

2. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Breeds with small combs and decent feathering do well, such as Wyandottes, EE's . Our Buff Orpingtons and Australorps - which are a little bigger - have done fine for us, too, and we do have temps in the negative numbers here fairly frequently. In fact, most large fowl breeds can handle cold temps if the coop is well ventilated, and maybe insulated (our is) and protected from drafts. I do use a little supplemental heat when the temp gets down to 10 or 20 below.

3. san415

san415 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    My polish hen does fine in the cod windy snow filled state of Michigan. Also I have an Easter Egger, My comet is not real big either. The rest of my flock is either heavy or bantams.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Meyers hatchery has what they call Golden Buffs. They are a production red type bird. They are not large at all. They lay every day.
    I brought a flock of them right through this bitter cold winter and they never minded at all. Their small combs help a lot.

5. NBarnes

NBarnes Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Hamburgs, perhaps. They are smaller laying birds, with good feathering and quite small combs. The Hamburg in our flock is easily the smallest of our hens, but she keeps up just fine in the laying and the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by