1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Med food or not??? Please help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sunflower, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Sunflower

Sunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    We have 4 1-month old chicks. We have added 2 more 3-week old chicks. Then we added 2 more 2-week old chicks and 2 more week old chicks just the other day. (We just couldn't stop at the first 4) They are leghorns, barred rocks, Lakenvelders and bantam.
    We are about out of the medicated chick starter. The guy at the feed store told us to get 50 lbs of 20% protein medicated starter and he told us to keep them on it for the first year. I don't know if the chicks are vacinated.
    I heard that you should not feed medicated feed past 8 weeks old. I am not sure what to do. Any advise anyone?? We are very concerned

2. MoonGoddess

MoonGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    I have heard conflicting advice on this. I would say it's a matter of choice. I hear from some that if you clean the brooder often and keep their food and water bowls very clean, you reduce the chances of them getting sick.
    My own personal opinion is always better safe then sorry. If you have chicks that aren't 8 weeks, I would probably continue the medicated stuff if I wasn't sure they were vaccinated.
    But then as I stated, I am always the one who is particularly overprotective. [​IMG]

3. Sunflower

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    Thanks. I have heard the same conflicting advice. I don't want to make them sick. We are probably over-protective to a fault too.
    Thanks so much, from a worried momma.[​IMG]

4. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Don't keep the birds on starter for a year. They need to switch to layer feed at about 18-20 weeks so they will have the extra calcium needed for their eggs.

5. Sunflower

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    :DThanks so much for all your help. I truly appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by