Medical advice needed for sick Orphington

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by boorae, Aug 14, 2013.

1. boorae

boorae Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Abita Springs, LA
    I have a 7 month old Buff that have been rather lethargic for the past two days. Her waddle and face seems dull and pale and her balance seems off. She did lay yesterday prior to this onset and she also picked at scratch this evening. None of our other 8 hens seems affected and we have not added any new hens in about a month.her stool was a frothyish yellow last night. Thanks for and advice!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Coccidiosis or worms are two possibilities. I'd purchase some Corid (amprol) powder or Corid liquid, and treat for Coccidiosis first. Corid can typically be found at livestock supplies stores. The Corid liquid dosage is 1/2 teaspoon liquid per quart of drinking water for 5-7 days, and the Corid powder dosage is 1/2-3/4 teaspoon Corid powder per gallon of drinking water for 5-7 days. Don't give any vitamins in the drinking water during Corid treatment, as vitamins can interfere with the effect of Corid on Coccidia.

Make sure your hen gets enough to eat and drink. Entice her to eat by giving her scrambled eggs, applesauce, or moistened layer feed. Drip water on the side of her beak, or dip her beak in water, to get her to drink. Keep her clean and warm, and definitely isolate her away from the other birds. Leaving her in with the other chickens will only stress out her body more.

You might also consider worming her and your other birds. Good wormers include SafeGuard, Valbazen, Ivermectin, and the Worminator. Wazine is another common wormer, but it only works on roundworms, so it isn't as good as the others. The Worminator (it contains Flubenvet, and is what I use--it kills almost all worms) can be purchased from here: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584, and the other wormers can usually be found at livestock supply stores.

Hope your hen feels better! Please keep us updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by