Medical grade "super glue" for wound closure - any success stories?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gritsar, Jun 11, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Assuming I can get my hands on some medical grade "super glue", which I think I can, I'm considering using it to close a long tear in my SF's side. The medical grade, not the household stuff.

Anyone use it on a chicken with good success?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have used "household stuff" from Rite Aid drug store when a puppy's umbilicus got torn and her intestines came out when she was born. She did great and healed up fine. I glued saran wrap over it too, to keep it still.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Once we superglued a Delaware chick's umbilicus closed after pushing his intestines back inside. It worked. A BYC member took him home and he was dubbed "SuperChick".

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I've never used it on a chicken but it worked great on my DD's forehead. Too bad the doc glued his bare hand to her eyebrow. [​IMG] The brand name is Dermabond.

5. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:[​IMG] Oopsie!!

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    When I got tired of paying for the vet to sew my JTRs back together I start using household superglue. Worked fine.

7. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    You can actually use regular super glue. Works fine, stings like HE double hockey sticks though. But I used Dermabond on hubby once and he said it stung just as bad.

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I've used the normal super glue to close up wounds on myself. I'm a bit of a klutz (although I will never admit that outside of this forum), so I frequently get some good old dings. I've never used it on my birds. It does burn like you wouldn't believe. As long as the wound you are using it on is clean, then it should do no harm, but be prepared for the fight of your life once you apply it because it burns like crazy!!! I can't see a chicken tolerating that sort of insult without a huge fuss.

Good luck.

9. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    medical grade or household it all burns ,it will make a grown man swear badly [​IMG] it works the same. Just watch your fingertips not to glue then as well. [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks for the input y'all. Gonna try it on Doe tomorrow, if I can make it to town to get some. Wonder if there's some way to numb her first? Hmmm, let me think on this. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by