Medical Help

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cattleman999, Aug 3, 2010.

1. cattleman999

cattleman999 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    I am raising 10 CornishX from McMurray with 27 laying chicks I got from them at the same time. The chicks are a little over 3 weeks old and I noticed one of the meaties has some kind of sore near his vent. Any ideas what might have caused it and what should I put on it? Does he need to be separated from the rest of the bunch until he heals up? Any suggestions will be appreciated. This is my first attempt at raising meaties.

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Could you post a good, clear pic of the sore?

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    [​IMG]

4. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    My guess, if it is above his vent, is the tail feathers are breaking through.

5. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    if it is a visible open sore and you are worrying about the other chickens messing with it i would isolate for a few days until it has healed over and is not "raw" anymore, to be safe. better safe than sorry... if it starts to bleed and the other chickens take notice they may become relentless w/ pecking at the wound causing much worse injury or death.

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    blu-kote is awesome to keep the others from pecking at a sore. a pic of it would help us tell you what it is.

7. cattleman999

cattleman999 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    I think it is raw from the other chickens pecking at it. I will try to get a pic and put on here. I had a friend that tried raising meaties with layers and the layers ended up killing all the meaties. I am going to separate the meaties from the layers today and will isolate this one by himself if necessary. Thanks for the responses. Where did you get the blu-kote I think it was?

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    just about any feed or farm store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by