Medical mystery: A limp, followed by no eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jantos, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Jantos

Jantos New Egg

Oct 18, 2011
    I have a 6-8 moth old barred rock hen who was laying daily up until recently. For days, she would not place any weight on one of her feet, although there was no sign of bumblefoot or scrapes. Her appetite was good throughout her leg issue, just a few days.

I ended up giving her a soak in epsom salts, followed by a snack of yogurt and molasses (in case it was a digestive issue). Her leg issue cleared up about 8 days ago, and she has not laid an egg for about eight days! It is a complete mystery to me. Any insight on how I can get this girl laying again is most appreciated!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello,

Chickens are such creatures of habit, and if their routine is changed, or they're injured, this can affect egg laying. Since she's fine now, she'll probably begin laying again soon, but it does take time. With her injury, plus you tending to her wounds and giving her treats, her normal day was interrupted, and this upsets chickens.....

Also, I'm not sure where you're located, but the daylight hours here in Ohio are shrinking, and so my hens have not been laying as much. Some chickens stop laying in the fall and winter because they need sunshine (or artificial lighting) in order to lay eggs, so this problem of "no eggs" could be a combination of the weather, plus her normal routine being interrupted.

I'll be she'll be fine with a little more time. Maybe another week.

Sharon

3. Jantos

Jantos New Egg

Oct 18, 2011
    [​IMG] Thanks Sharon. I sure hope you're right! The daylight hours in Seattle are rapidly disappearing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by