Medical Question...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Squishy, May 13, 2011.

1. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    What reasons would there be for someone to have a blue colored area at the base of all their fingernails?

I know.. not doctors.. but perhaps someone knows enough to satisfy my curiosity?

In the last year, I had an MRI, Catscan, EKG, and lab work done... all for them to tell me that I am perfectly fine! They see a healthy 23 year old.. and seemed to think I am a hypocondriac [​IMG]

So, I would have to be unconscious for someone to drag me back into another er or doctors office! I don't need to go through all of that just to be told 'everything looks normal' yet again. [​IMG]

Mother thought, a few days ago, that I had blue around my mouth, and was all set to take me to the doctor in the morning... but I'm not going [​IMG]

That day, I had been working outside for a good while... and then today, after getting back from TSC and other shopping errands... I noticed in the bathroom light that the base of all my fingernails was decidly blue, and halfway up they were pink again.

I feel fine and dandy otherwise... so... is it of any true import, I am wondering?

Thank you, my helpful BYC friends!

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I am no doctor, take it with a grain of salt, but it sounds like low blood oxygen. Do your research, www.drinkh2o2.com

3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Not enough oxygen in your blood. If you are in fact "blue" around the mouth at all, get to a cardiologist! My husband a Healthy, definitely not overweight, no drinking, no smoking 52 yr old had a massive Heart Attack in January. Yes older than 23 but that does not mean you could not have blockages or something. I urge you to do this, better safe than sorry. I just went Monday and had my heart checked, I am scheduled for an ultrasound Stress Test in June to check for blockages , even though my EKG was good. You just never know.

4. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Quote:That's what I was thinking, too. Sounds like cyanosis.

5. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    Go to the doctor. D
    Also i learned do your research. I wish I had known about many of the medications side effects before hand. I now have a heart condition due to medications a doctor put me on. Never once told me it could cause heart problems. If you dont get answers find another doctor. I had several doctors tell me they couldn't find out what was wrong with me and go to another doctor. Thats so hurtful to hear that when I knew something was indeed wrong. At the time i was not able to walk unassisted. To have someone tell you "I don't know" it stinks.
    Keep pushing off answers. Also trust your gut if you know something isn't right keep going until you get answers.

6. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    You could be cold, or have poor cirulation. During the winter the base of my nail beds turn blue too. Or sometimes if I cut off circulation to my arm because of how I am laying or if I am not getting enough oxygen (sometimes I shallow breathe if I am ...erm... "veg-ing" - aka being lazy and watching tv. Taking a deep breathe makes the color come right back in those circumstances)

But for me, I am normally chilly when the base of my nail beds turn blue. [​IMG]

E.T.A. I just noticed you said the edge of your mouth is turning blue too... Ok then I am with the others. You are not getting enough oxygen. My grandmother had lung cancer from smoking and needed to be on oxygen. We would notice the edges of her lips turning blue (and even the tip of her nose) when she needed her tank. Probably the doctors would be a good idea [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:GO. To. The. Doctor. NOW.

8. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:are your fingers cold all the time? You could be checked for raynalds (i don't know if i spelled that right) it runs in my family. it just means poor circulation in your fingers and toes which can cause the blue half moon on the finger nails.

9. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:are your fingers cold all the time? You could be checked for raynalds (i don't know if i spelled that right) it runs in my family. it just means poor circulation in your fingers and toes which can cause the blue half moon on the finger nails.

We have that in the family, too- but if you're blue in the mouth you need to see a doc about getting your blood oxygen checked. Dead serious.

Don't mess around with this one. That could be a faulty heart valve, and time is of the essence in fixing those.

10. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    I agree with the others. Go to the doctor, but a general doctor or a family doctor may NOT be helpful and might blow you off.

This could be caused from heart, lung, circulatory, or chemical issues. Get it checked!

And report back here . . . or we'll all come knocking on your door!

Good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by