Medical

Cupbernbelle

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2021
👋 I have a Muscovy duck who when it gets cold his feet get hard as a rock we try and bring him inside when it’s cold but we live in Colorado and sometimes it gets cold randomly. Does anybody know what we can do for him? This last time made it really hard for him to walk on one of his feet.

Oh my gosh poor guy. Do you keep bedding down where he stays so he isn't standing on snow or ice? My Muscovy are old one is 14 the other 3 are 10 and another is 9 this year They have all decided to stay close to their coop when it's been really frigid. they have their door open so they can come out for fresh air and sun but my drake mainly stays inside on the deep shaving I keep in my coops. And we live in mid south in NC mountains so probably nothing like the temps your having. Maybe keep him inside on those days that are extreme. On nice soft deep bedding. How old is your drake? since you say you can't let him swim because he drowns himself why is that is he handicapped beside his feet getting hard rock when cold? Does he have frost bite?

Oh my gosh poor guy. Do you keep bedding down where he stays so he isn't standing on snow or ice? My Muscovy are old one is 14 the other 3 are 10 and another is 9 this year They have all decided to stay close to their coop when it's been really frigid. they have their door open so they can come out for fresh air and sun but my drake mainly stays inside on the deep shaving I keep in my coops. And we live in mid south in NC mountains so probably nothing like the temps your having. Maybe keep him inside on those days that are extreme. On nice soft deep bedding. How old is your drake? since you say you can't let him swim because he drowns himself why is that is he handicapped beside his feet getting hard rock when cold? Does he have frost bite?
My drake is almost 2 he just has lots of bedding in his house to keep him warm since we live in CO that is one of my biggest worries with all of my animals. But when it comes to swimming he just likes to constantly go under water until he is so wet he can’t float anymore. I don’t believe it’s frostbite because after an hour or so of his feet warming up they tend to go back to normal.

Doesn’t make sense since he’s almost 2 that he’d be having this problem with his feet unless there is an under lying problem, did he have this problem last winter? If he is getting so soaked his feathers must not be water proof? What are you feeding him do you have other ducks?

Doesn’t make sense since he’s almost 2 that he’d be having this problem with his feet unless there is an under lying problem, did he have this problem last winter? If he is getting so soaked his feathers must not be water proof? What are you feeding him do you have other ducks?
Last winter his feet were totally normal. Sometimes he does like to stand in the snow and not go inside when it’s cold. I feed him and my other Muscovy duck all flock

Last winter his feet were totally normal. Sometimes he does like to stand in the snow and not go inside when it’s cold. I feed him and my other Muscovy duck all flock
Do you have any pictures of him you could upload? Full body and foot pictures?
I feel like we're missing something here.

Do you have any pictures of him you could upload? Full body and foot pictures?
I feel like we're missing something here.
108978B0-53F0-45A7-88F2-8234ADE31A51.jpeg
6717BA93-894C-4BC9-BA30-CD0CC4AE5226.jpeg
63BD107F-ECDA-4F9F-874B-B4727657B674.jpeg
5AEC0FA2-E158-4E55-A54B-710D02EA9A9E.jpeg

Attachments

• E56F0F5A-5853-49D7-B212-170009DDCD1B.jpeg
    E56F0F5A-5853-49D7-B212-170009DDCD1B.jpeg
    679.5 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom