Medicated and regular chick feed....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by X2Farm, Aug 5, 2010.

1. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    So I am about out of medicated chick feed. I have a 50lb bag of regular chick feed that I would like to use, since its already here. My 2wk old chicks have been on medicated since I got them as day olds. Maybe keep them on medicated for another two weeks then switch over? What would yall recommend?

2. mattdog1995

mattdog1995 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2010
    Elizabeth City, NC
    I personally dont medicate if I dont see a need.

3. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    I had a chick die from cocci, so I now ONLY use medicated. Another reason is that I have a bunch of other chickens, and I can't guarantee I won't accidently track something into their coop. But, we all do things differently.

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I keep mine on medicated feed for as long as possible. I think you would be fine with switching them over at about 5 weeks or so if you reeaaallly wanted to. Medicated food is way better for them.

5. michpetea

michpetea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I have three types myself. First bag til 6 wks (medicated) then grower combo til 20 wks, then put them on layer feed at 20 wks. There are 4 types that I have seen. The grower combo is one choice, or you can do another two types from 4 - 8 wks and 8 - 20 wks. Shur-gain has it on their website.

6. X2Farm

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Ok seems the general concesus is keep em on it for a few more weeks.. sounds good to me! [​IMG]

I've got another batch of chicks/keets thats about a week behind these anyways, and they're on the same medicated. Guess I'll just go pick up another 50lb bag of medicated tomorrow. That should last me, ohhhhhhhhhhhh, about a week, at the rate the bebies are eating [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks Yall [​IMG]

7. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I agree with keeping them on the medicated chix feed, but why dont you just mix the two together so you can rid the other bag? Like the other post, I like to keep mine on the medicated for the first 5-6 weeks, its builds up their immunity and prevents them from most viruses and illness til they start laying.

8. X2Farm

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Quote:Duh! Thats a simple solution I hadn't even thought of.... I'm feelin stupid [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks! That'll get it used up before it has a chance to go bad or anythin!!

9. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Quote:Duh! Thats a simple solution I hadn't even thought of.... I'm feelin stupid [​IMG] [​IMG] Thanks! That'll get it used up before it has a chance to go bad or anythin!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by