1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Medicated chick feed...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CrazyChickens09, Nov 3, 2009.

1. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    when is it a good idea to switch from the medicated feed to non medicated feed? my chicks are 5 weeks

2. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    I think 8 weeks is the rule of thumb.

3. CrazyChickens09

CrazyChickens09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2009
    SC Kansas
    Thanks Wombat...I will head to the feed store for some more medicated feed

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I keep mine on Purina medicated starter/grower until they begin to lay, or 20 weeks. Hatchery production birds tend to start laying earlir, and the first batch i had started by 16 weeks, so that's when I started feeding everyonelayena, or stock raiser.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I don't know how many chicks you have, but my guess is that you can finish the bag you bought (or are buying) and move on to whatever you will use next from there...that should be several weeks. But, as the other poster suggested, I will continue on the medicated until I make the switch to layer (I use the Purina).

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I usually feed it up to laying. If it's just amrolium, it won't harm anything if you eat eggs from them. Amprolium just prevents cocci from reproducing in the gut. That said, before you stop the medicated feed, make sure they are exposed to the soil and have played in the dirt, because they need to be exposed to cocci in order to become immune to it.

7. microbiomom

microbiomom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    South Alabama
    That is a great explanation and good guidance. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by