medicated chick feed?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MEchickenfarmer33, Sep 1, 2011.

1. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    how long do i feed medicated MannaPro chick starter??? it doesn't say on the packaging

2. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I fed until they started laying.

3. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I usually just feed it for the first 3 weeks or so then switch to the plain chick grower.

4. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I usually keep them on chick starter until they're around 4-6 weeks, then switch to Nutrena All Flock.

5. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    My chicks are 9 weeks-they have about 1 or 2 days left of the medicated feed and then I will buy a bag of the grower feed.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feed medicated until you are sure of their exposure to Cocci. This exposure comes from the dirt, usually. In some folks' eyes, the blocker is most important at 8-10 weeks when the chicks have left the safety of their brooder and are now on the dirt. Something to consider.

7. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Fred's Hens :

Feed medicated until you are sure of their exposure to Cocci. This exposure comes from the dirt, usually. In some folks' eyes, the blocker is most important at 8-10 weeks when the chicks have left the safety of their brooder and are now on the dirt. Something to consider.

I didn't know they could pick up something from the dirt--so now that is something to consider ....
    I have only a bit left of the medicated feed and the chicks are 9 weeks old--so maybe it is better to get another bag of the medicated feed and keep them on it for awhile longer.​

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The medicated feed from Purina (Start and Grow) doesn't seem any more expensive then Flock Raiser or other feeds, so I chose to keep mine on it until they start laying. I have not had any coccidia outbreaks, so I can't see any downside to feeding it. It helps to create immunity to cocci and contains amprollium (not an antibiotic).

9. humpbacks1962

humpbacks1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Middletown, CT
    I bought a big, 50 lb bag of medicated feed for four chicks. By the time they were 8-9 weeks old, it was all gone. Then I switched to grower feed.
    They are doing just fine.
    In fact, when they come out of the coop they head straight out to the dirt to dig for bugs and eat the Purina every now and then. I think I am feeding all the wild birds in the neighborhood, though [​IMG]

10. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I fed mine the Manna Pro medicated chick starter until the bag was done.

Then I switched to another brand of unmedicated grower crumbles.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by