Medicated chick food

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiny529, Jul 8, 2011.

1. tiny529

tiny529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    How long should the chicks get the medicated food? I get my food from Tractor Supply and the last time I was there, I got the last 2 viable bags. If they don't have any the next time I go there, will regular chick feed suffice? My girls are nearly 3 weeks old.

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    They should stay on it until they lay.

3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

We're planning to keep them on it until they're about 16-18 weeks old. Or until they lay, whichever comes first.

4. tiny529

Mar 28, 2011
    Hmm... I hope I can find another supplier of the medicated food if Tractor Supply doesn't restock in time. I worry about them getting cocci on the regular chick food. [​IMG]

5. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Quote:Gale has it right. Consensus is 18 weeks and then go to layer or grower depending on what your birdie happens to be. I happen to used medicated turkey starter for the first 2 to 2 1/2 weeks because I happen to like the 24% protein to jump start them and then go to regular medicated which is 20%.

Best of luck.

6. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Quote:Tiny:
    In my area TSC get feed once a week. In the meantime just get a small bag of Gamebird or Showbird starter. It is also medicated and it is 24% protein. That will work in the meantime.

Again, good luck with your birds.

CDA

7. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

You surely are not the only buyer of medicated feed in your area and I would think TSC would be getting in a shipment before you run out. But just in case I'm wrong, call and talk to the store manager.

8. tiny529

Mar 28, 2011
    Quote:I'd think so too, but when they ran out of chick vitamins and told me that they only sell it during "Chick Days" in the spring. I might be able to get medicated chick feed from Moyer's. They are a local hatchery that sells chicks year-round, so they probably have supplies available too.

9. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Ours also does not have any more chick supplies. They said they only have them in early spring when they have the chicks.

10. Splinty

Splinty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    New York
    The Mana Pro medicated chick starter says to use it for 8 weeks. I was planing on putting them on reg chick starter after I run out. My feed stores here on Long Island don't carry Mana Pro and when I called they don't carry any medicated chick starter. I can't keep ordering a 5lb bag at $15+ till they lay. The feed store that's close to my carries Poulin Grain brand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by