1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

medicated chick starter bad for hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by grammaschicks, Apr 5, 2012.

1. grammaschicks

grammaschicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Will it hurt my old (6yrs) hen to eat the medicated chick starter I have out for my pullets? She gets into it occasionally when I have them all out together (trying to integrate). I have been putting it up out of her reach when I can, but sometimes I forget.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't think it will hurt her but I just wouldn't give medicated to any of them. It's only a coccidiostat to prevent the ill effects of coccidia.
    Most people would still eat the eggs but I wouldn't.

3. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    No, shouldn't be a problem. The problem would be if the pullets were getting into some layer feed that was high in calcium before they were laying eggs.

The medication in the feed is not an antibiotic, it just interferes with how coccidia utilize thiamine in their bodies, making them die. Coccidia is always around, it's just the overgrowth that causes problems. So if the hen gets it, there shouldn't be a problem, since you can give chickens of all ages the medication found in the feed (it's called Amprolium, sold under one name as Corid), if you actually have a coccidia infection going on in the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by