Medicated Chick Starter or not?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hegatha, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    Just relized I have been feeding Medicated Chick Starter for three weeks now. Does it have to be medicated? or is non medicated better?
    Thanks

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    By now it doesn't matter much.

However, generally speaking, if the chicks were vaccinated at the hatchery, you should not feed medicated starter.

[​IMG]

3. DukesAngel

DukesAngel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    There is a debate on medicated or non medicated. Personally, I feed medicated for the first bag of feed and when that is gone I switch to nonmedicated.

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Quote:That's exactly what I do.

[​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If it makes you feel any better, medicated starter is not a guarantee against coccidiosis, especially in a wet location. Feed whichever you like, med or not, and just watch for signs of cocci. [​IMG] I am unable to get non-medicated starter around here.

6. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
  7. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    So how long do you feed the medicated so the dont have coci? I would like to stop feeding the medicated but dont want them getting Coci.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Realize that you're feeding a medication that basically affects the cocci and not the chicken. Can't hurt, is my feeling. Assuming its medicated with amprolium, that is.

9. Chicken Pen

Chicken Pen New Egg

Feb 17, 2011
    I do as many others have said...I feed the first bag medicated then switch to non-medicated. I hatch my own birds and grow them out for there intended purpose in life and so far have not had any losses, thank God!

10. lemongrass

lemongrass Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Maryland, US
    I feed this: http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-feed/poultry-feed/dumor-reg-chick-starter-grower-20-feed-50-lb--5078210

I
    can't find anywhere on the bag that it says its medicated, so I'm pretty sure its not. My chicks are not vaccinated either. So far, no issues, but I did just start. My oldest birds are 4.5 weeks. They stay in dry quarters, though.

Edited to add: I personally would rather not feed medicated. I'm one of those hippy-all-natural types as often as I can be, but not to the point that I'd put my birdies lives (or mine or any of my other pets) in danger. In my opinion if its not broke, don't fix it (aka, no medicine) ... and, also, that 'natural' prevention is the best kind. If I started having an issue with the non-medicated, I would switch... until then I'll stick with it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by