medicated chick starter

brightonchicks

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
Near Springfield,MO
If you have your chicks on medicated chick starter and momma hen is eating it too, how long after she is off it and begins laying again should it take for the medicated feed be out of her system and safe to eat her eggs?

The safe zone most people use (including myself) is 2 weeks after she stopped eating it. Chances are due to lack of calcium in her diet her eggs will be soft anyway unless she has a calcium supplement like oyster shells.

Yes, once she is off the medicated she will be back on oyster shells. Can you tell me at what age to start trying them on a small roost close to the ground or will mamma start to use the roost at a certain point and they will follow her lead? My first chicks so I have a lot of questions
jumpy.gif
Thanks for helping!

Yes, once she is off the medicated she will be back on oyster shells. Can you tell me at what age to start trying them on a small roost close to the ground or will mamma start to use the roost at a certain point and they will follow her lead? My first chicks so I have a lot of questions
jumpy.gif
Thanks for helping!
Personally I let them roost as soon as they have wing feathers. I have a roost 2 ft off the ground in the hen house and frequently have chicks spread out on it, sometimes right underneath their mothers belly and wings...lol. Once those wing feathers come in they can get pretty high. Mom will teach them herself if she's there.

t what age do they have wing feathers? Do you give your babies anything in their water like vitamins? They are 4 and 5 days old and I keep them in a dog crate at night in a coop house, do I still need to lock the door on the crate to keep them in at night or leave the door off and let mamma decide when they get in and out. She takes them outside during the day and goes back in the crate at night.

You should start seeing feathers popping out any time if you can't already, they should have little wings and tails by 2 weeks old, and more than likely will be able to fly up about 2-3 feet by 3 weeks old depending on the breeds and even sometimes sexes. Some feather a little slower than others so it does vary. But, I know of people who put little sticks up for their chicks as well just a few inches off the floor..lol

Do you have any suggestions on weather to use vitamin drops in their water? Also they are in a dog crate at night inside of the coop, I have been closing the crate door at night and opening it in the mornings and mamma takes them out all day and back to the crate at night. Should I keep the crate door closed at night or leave it off now?

I'm not sure what your temperatures are like there this time of year, but if they're outside and the only heat source is mom, keeping the door would be a good idea to conserve heat until they are fully feathered. I've never used vitamin drops before as usually the chicken starter has the needed vitamins ( I'm always paranoid of over dosing someone in vitamins) I do however feed my chicks scrambled eggs mashed up really good with a little chick grit mixed in for a little treat in the evening for that little boost of protein. It's safe for moms to eat too.

Back
Top Bottom