Medicated Feed and Eating the Eggs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JodyJo, Jul 30, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have seen several posts from people saying not to feed medicated feed to your hens when they start laying (I have a mixed age flock so this is easier, with Oyster Shell on the side)
    ...but they said they would not recommend eating the eggs from those hens?

I understand the statement, but is this a true concern? Should I not be giving mine medicated when they are older, **its just more convenient with roosters, 7 week olds and POL.

Not sure I can find unmedicated Grower where I live, or even Flock Raiser!

2. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
  3. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Where I am, just the starter is medicated - it has something that suppresses a B vitamin, which is supposed to keep cocci from growing.

So check, your grower may be fine. Also, we ate the eggs when I was feeding everybody starter, and neither we nor the chickens got sick. But we were both eating many other things besides that!

4. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I will have to check my bag...I am allergic to Sulfa, at least medications...so I want to be sure.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Most feed Co.'s will use one of two types of medications in there medicated chick starter as a active ingredient.

First type,
    Amprolium which goes by the trade names Corid and Amprovine, Amprolium, Amprol, Anticoccid and is a thiamine analog, competitively inhibits the active transport of thiamine (B1).
    According to the Amprolium site there is no withdrawal periods in both eggs and poultry meat.

The second type,
    Lasalocid goes by the trade name Bovatec. Bovatec (lasalocid) is a coccidiocide that kills coccidia. It is an ionophore that moves potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium into the cell causing the cell to burst. Bovatec works primarily on a single developmental stage of coccidia, providing a more narrow range of action than Deccox.
    There is no withdrawal required because Lasalocid is confined to the alimentary canal of the bird.

Chris

6. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I had the same concern and was told by someone here that the amprolium that ours has in it isn't sulfa based.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Amprolium (INN, trade names Amprovine, Amprolium, Amprol, Anticoccid) is a coccidiostat used in poultry.
    The drug is a thiamine analogue and blocks the thiamine transporter of Eimeria species. By blocking thiamine uptake it prevents carbohydrate synthesis.
    Despite only moderate efficacy it is well favoured due to few resistance issues and is commonly used in conjunction with sulphonamides prophylactically in chickens and cattle as a coccidiostat.

Sulfonamide or sulphonamide is the basis of several groups of drugs. The original antibacterial sulfonamides (sometimes called sulfa drugs or sulpha drugs)

Chris

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  8. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    checked my bag of feed, NON medicated...so I feel better about selling and eating these eggs!
    Thanks for all the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by