Medicated feed for Adult Chickens (1.5 yrs) (Corrected)

Moricha

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2020
Hello!

I had been feeding my girls Purina Medicated Pellet feed for the past year and medicated crumbles for chicks when they were little.
I recently noticed they hadn't been eating the Purina pellets at all, and they would eat anything rather than their feed.
I switched to a small bag of Dumor Organics crumbles, and they LOVE IT. They down it much quicker.

I'm happy they like it, but I'm worried and would like to put them on a medicated feed again, but I want them to eat it!
I did some reading and found other people had gotten "off" bags of Purina, and now I'm worried I got a bad batch before, and I am hesitant to use Purina again.

Do you have any recommended brands for medicated feed?
What are your experiences with plain ol' organic feed? Do you find it makes a difference in your flock?
Should I give a different bag of Purina a go?

Just want my ladies to eat and be both happy AND healthy :D Any suggestions welcome.

UPDATE: Realized the feed I was using was not medicated!
Question still stands, what's your feed go to, and do you see a difference in organic and non-organic? :)

Last edited:

Moricha

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2020

Gooseface

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
I feed my pullets Purina flock raiser and supplement with oyster shell in another container. Mine tend to prefer crumbles over pellets for whatever reason so I leave them on it. I go with an all flock feed so when adding new chicks to the coop in spring, I don’t have to worry about the littles getting into layer feed.

Gooseface

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
There are lots of good options of quality feed. I think the most important thing is to look at the mill date on the bag and feed them something fresh....

Moricha

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2020
Mine tend to prefer crumbles over pellets for whatever reason so I leave them on it.
Thank you! And how interesting about the crumbles, I noticed they seem to like that more than the pellets. Might be time to switch over since they seem to have a preference now.

Top Bottom