1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Medicated feed or no?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BlackAce, Aug 8, 2013.

1. BlackAce

BlackAce Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    I've been giving chicks medicated feed and they are about 8 weeks now. How long should I give them medicated feed? Would they be considered organic since I gave me medicated feed? They are growing nicely and seem to be healthy.

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I would get them off the medicated feed now. They should be old enough. (I actually only put mine on for a week or two).

I've had trouble with them getting too much of the Amprolin (if you are using the Purina type) which inhibits the absorption of Vitamin B to prevent the growth of the Coccidiosis bacteria...I have had nutritional deficiencies in the chicks on medicated Chick Starter as exhibited by leg deformities that went away with the addition of Poly-Vi-Sol vitamins (mainly Vitamin B).

I now just start the chicks on non-medicated feed and add Apple Cider Vinegar in their water (in a plastic waterer only as the metal will corrode with the ACV leeching toxic metal). That does a lot to balance their intestinal track and discourage coccidiosis. So does plain yogurt.

If however, you begin to see bloody stools representing coccidiosis, medicate, medicate, medicate. NUTS to the organic.

Techincally, no they aren't organic as unless you have them on organic certified feed.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I'd finish the feed they have a change them to grower feed. Good luck!

4. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    I'm using Nutrena chick starter grower with 18% crumbles, it's a 25 lbs bag and the bag says to "Feed as sole ration from chick to 22 weeks". I was using Manna Pro medicated starter chick feed and I finished the bag. I went to the Farmer's feed store and got this chick feed. I didn't know that it was medicated until a week after I bought it. I've been keeping on an eye on their stool since they hatched and it looks to be fine, no blood or anything.

What does 18% crumbles mean?

5. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    18% refers to the protein content.

Crumble refers to the feed form...crumbles vs. pellet

It's totally up to you how long to keep them on medicated feed as long as you aren't seeing any problems with vitamin deficiency. I've kept chicks on chick starter for a long time (12 to 14 weeks) before. You can certainly finish out the bag, or cut it with another feed so that it doesn't go to waste (or save it for the next batch of chicks).

If you have faster maturing hens, I generally switch to layer feed by 16 to 18 weeks, or to at least flock raiser. You don't want to start the layer feed until they are ready as it has a lot of calcium which is bad for littler pullets...but my breeds tend to lay by 18 to 22 weeks, so I've got them on layer pellet by 18 weeks.

Feed bag always suggests you give starter to them longer than I personally think needed (sell more that way), UNLESS coccidiosis is a problem in your soil. Then I would keep them on it until the 22 weeks.

I've never had a problem with coccidiosis, so I take my chicks off early (or don't put then on it at all) and supply the ACV and probiotics for their gut to naturally ward off bacteria....but that again is due to my problem with chicks getting a vitamin deficiency from the Amprolin...at least I'm pretty darn sure that happened as only the chicks on medicated got the symptoms of vitamin deficiency while those not on medicated did not...and taking them off the medicated and giving them vitamins magically cured them.

My 2 cents.
    Lady of McCamley

6. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    I don't know coccidiosis is a problem in my soil. This is my first time raising chickens so I don't know lol

I have more eggs on the way and I told my wife that I want to stop the medicated feed. Since I hope to have more chicks in about a month, I can save this feed for them. Is it ok to keep the feed that long? I know it's not good to keep feed for a long time.

7. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    The feed should be fine. The feed store keeps it a lot longer than that.

Just store it in a secure and dry bin that rodents can't get into...otherwise you'll have fat rats.

Always check stored food before feeding. If it looks moldy or smells musty, throw it out; otherwise use it for the new ones.
    Lady of McCamley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by