medicated feed question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by the Pollo Loco, Oct 21, 2011.

1. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    so if i feed my home incubated, unvaccinated chicks medicated feed, what does that medicate against? what's the whole purpose?

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    It medicates againts coccidiosis. I have used it from the very first day I got my chicks. They are all heathy and no problems so far. They are 3 weeks old and are doing great.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Med feed usually contains amprolum, a thiamine blocker that inhibits the reproduction of the cocci protozoa. You expose the chicks to cocci as day old chicks via dirt from your yard, feed the feed, and gives them a step up in building their natural immunity to the cocci that lives in your yard dirt. It does nothing if you do not expose chicks.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Most medicated feed, like a Purina Start N Grow only has an amprollum type product added. A small amount that only acts as a blocker for the chick's immune system against cocci. Read the label on your chick feed.

It isn't an anti-biotic, per se, it just helps the chick's immune system from being overwhelmed, if exposed at a young age. Once the chick is older and hits the ground, its immune system grows stronger and the amp based blocker feed is no longer required. Many folks do not feed "medicated" chick feed. Others, haven't and have had their entire young flock wiped out and wished they had. There are debates both ways, and you'll have to educate yourself and make a decision for yourself.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  5. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    so then what do people do when they hatch their own chicks, to protect them from mareks or other diseases?

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:Simple, never buy chicks from sources where they would come in contact with adults, never buy adults, and after contact with other poultry, wash/disinfect your shoes/clothes before contacting your own animals. In short, keep a closed flock and practice good biosecurity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by