Medicated feed to un-mediated and back?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ckelley, Jan 3, 2017.

1. ckelley

ckelley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    Hello,

I had my chicks on medicated feed for the first 7 weeks. I sent my husband to pick up more feed and he got the Un-medicated- which I didn't notice right away. Can I switch back or will it cause issues with my birds? They are 11 weeks now (big bag).

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The 'medication' in medicated starter is amprolium. It's a thiamine blocker that helps prevent the coccidia protozoa from overwhelming a young bird's immune system, and gives them a chance to develop resistance naturally. If your chicks have been exposed to soil for a few weeks now, you probably don't have to worry about them contracting coccidia at this point. They have likely built up a resistance to the organisms in the soil by now. Switching to unmedicated feed will be just fine.
    I only offer it to my chicks during the first 2 weeks they are outside.

3. ckelley

Jan 26, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    Excellent, Thanks!

I will save the bag I just bought for my chicks in the spring and keep feeding my girls the unmedicated.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Are you saying you bought a bag this spring, and plan to use it later? Chicken feed has a limited shelf life, after which it becomes stale and the nutrients are no longer there. A well known poultry nutrition expert states that feed is on it's way to becoming stale 42 days after milling.

5. ckelley

Jan 26, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    I didn't know that.

I just bought a bag of medicated and I will be getting Chicks in June. It's not opened, so I'll just return it. I just wanted to save myself the hassle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by