medicated feed with ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mandolinmama, Apr 5, 2009.

1. mandolinmama

mandolinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Urbana Missouri
    I'm almost out of my game bird starter feed. I have a LOT of chick starter that is medicated for coccidiosis. I know that I've read that medicated feed is a huge no-no for ducklings. Why is that?

I know. My bad for not getting more feed for my duckling kiddos before Sunday when the feed store is closed. [​IMG] Lesson learned.

What else can I give them in a pinch should they empty their feeder today????

Thanks so much guys. I'm new to ducklings now that I've semi-matered chickens. You guys rock![​IMG]

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I would not feed the medicated feed.. None of the instructions say "do not feed unless you have to.."

feed them oatmeal or cornmeal for a day..

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    The reason you shouldn't feed medicated feed to ducklings is because ducklings eat a lot more than chicks and could overdose on the medication in the feed.

I agree with jvls, give them oatmeal. You can also feed them Cheerios, chopped spinach, and plain yogurt.

4. mandolinmama

mandolinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Urbana Missouri
    Thanks you guys. That helps more than you know. I honestly don't know how people evey try to start out with chickens, ducks, or goats without the people from BYC. This is a fantastic wealth of information. [​IMG]

Thanks again!

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:interesting thread, but for me it is way simpler to just not feed medicated.. for example, I have already forgotten which meds are OK and which are not.. and besides none of the meds are beneficial to ducks.

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Again I must disagree! When your ducklings become sick with green poop and die because they have coccidiosis come back and we will tell you how to try to save them by treating with Amprolium. We may be lucky and save 50% if you post early enough and you are able to get the Amprolium into them fast enough. Feed medicated with Amprolium is SAFE for waterfowl and will prevent most coccidiosis from getting established in your flock. The last I checked medicated and unmedicated starter feed was the same price. However if they get coccidiosis the treatment strength of Amprolium sold as Corid costs about $75/gallon. Your ducklings and your money, your choice.
    This old waterfowl tale that once(20 years ago) was true needs to be updated. Sorry if my opinion is too harsh toned for this board, I am against the tale not the people that believe it.

7. ursusarctosana

ursusarctosana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    When I first wanted to know about the medicated chick feed I have and feeding ducklings I found some info. on the internet:

Feed game bird starter, chick starter , or a commercially prepared waterfowl starter for the first 4-6 weeks. NEVER feed medicated chick starter or poultry feed, as this is fatal to your ducklings. Also anything moldy is FATAL to your ducks of all ages! Bread, although thought of as the ideal "duck food," is also dangerous to ducklings, because it expands in their crop and chokes them.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Care-of-Ducklings

Some sites say they can eat chick starter, but to be on the safe side I found duck food at a local pet shop.

8. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I still wouldn't risk feeding them medicated feed. The chance of a duckling even getting cocci is very slim, they are more disease resistant than chickens.

9. friedeggs

friedeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Finksburg
    medicated feed in chick starter is dosed into the food at low rations. did anyone bring that up? I agree w/ goosedragon. You know you can always hold back the amount of feed your giving and give it to them several times a day, to make you feel better until you get to the store. Its easier to digest that way anyhow. I have given ducklings medicated chick starter.
    So everyone knows, it was once believed that medicated starter w/ bad for waterfowl. YEP. 'cause is contained arsenic and sulfa based products. sooooo as long as you have the ingredients of your medicated bag look it up yourself. Yes. I would be scared to death feeding it to WF after all the things you can look up on the net. Coccidia--- is treated w/ amprolium in WF.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by