Medicated feed with egg layers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KrazyK, Jun 30, 2011.

1. KrazyK

KrazyK New Egg

Apr 14, 2011
    Hi,
    Should be a simple question.
    Can I feed my egg layers the medicated feed and still eat the eggs?
    I have a large bag of medicated chick starter and I was wondering if it is okay to eat the eggs?
    Thanks,
    Gordon

2. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    The medication is a sulfa based antibiotic. If you are allergic to sulfa, you should not eat the eggs.

If you do feed it, you may mix with layer feed to get the extra calcium.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Many or most medicated feeds these days are medicated with amprolium, which is not an antibiotic, and (it is claimed) it is safe to eat eggs from hens fed with it. I have also seen feed with an antibiotic in it, though. This doesn't make much sense to me in starter feed, as antibiotics have no effect on cocci, whic are a protozoa.

You can also give them the calcium they need by providing oyster shell on the side. This is what I do; I do not buy layer feed at all.

http://poultry.purinamills.com/ASKTHEEXPERTS/FAQs/ECMD007942.aspx

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Many or most medicated feeds these days are medicated with amprolium, which is not an antibiotic, and (it is claimed) it is safe to eat eggs from hens fed with it. I have also seen feed with an antibiotic in it, though. This doesn't make much sense to me in starter feed, as antibiotics have no effect on cocci, whic are a protozoa.

You can also give them the calcium they need by providing oyster shell on the side. This is what I do; I do not buy layer feed at all.

http://poultry.purinamills.com/ASKTHEEXPERTS/FAQs/ECMD007942.aspx

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Most feed Co.'s will use one of two types of medications in there medicated chick starter as a active ingredient.

First type,
    Amprolium which goes by the trade names Corid and Amprovine, Amprolium, Amprol, Anticoccid and is a thiamine analog, competitively inhibits the active transport of thiamine (B1).
    According to the Amprolium site there is no withdrawal periods in both eggs and poultry meat.

The second type,
    Lasalocid goes by the trade name Bovatec. Bovatec (lasalocid) is a coccidiocide that kills coccidia. It is an ionophore that moves potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium into the cell causing the cell to burst. Bovatec works primarily on a single developmental stage of coccidia, providing a more narrow range of action than Deccox.
    There is no withdrawal required because Lasalocid is confined to the alimentary canal of the bird.

Chris

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  6. KrazyK

KrazyK New Egg

Apr 14, 2011
    Well that was very helpful and informative.
    Thank you very much for your help.
    Gordon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by