Medicated Feed - Yes or No???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Billyj, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    After a tragic loss of my entire flock several months ago, I have decided to start anew. My question is about medicated feed. Should I start using it or not?. I did not in the past, and everything was fine. What does it do, it is beneficial, or is it just a preference? I know it will be a preference, but what do you guys use? Just wondering? Thanks

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I do, but I make sure it is medicated with amprolium and not an antibiotic. Amprolium is a thiamine blocker. It helps the chicks develop their natural immunity to cocci by blocking thiamine uptake in the cocci. Cocci are a protozoa which lives in the soil. It is a very small dose. One of the two meds for a case of cocci is Corid, which is also amprolium, but a much higher dose.

3. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I decided against using medicated feed when I was a new chicken farmer last year. I don't know of any harm it may do but it must be stopped at a certain point in the maturation of the chicks (before laying, I believe). It is designed to protect/prevent a condition called coccidiosis that arises in young birds and is mostly preventable as it flourishes in moist soils. If you are able to keep the soil the birds come into contact with as dry as possible, this condition can be avoided. I am no expert on this, but my 2 flocks were not medicated and had no problem on the dry sandy soil I have at my home. I would advise you to research as much as you can here at BYC, the library, bookstores, feed stores, etc. I think you will be safe in not using the medicated feed.

BTW, what did you lose your flock to, if I may ask?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, it is decision.

I debate it myself. I do not and will not medicate older birds, but to have your batch of little chicks wiped out, when it is preventable by a temporary, say 6-8 weeks of medicated feed, it is very hard not to use it.

I do not personally see the down side of doing so.

5. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    When I received all of my chicks in 2009 I had them all vaccinated and when I went to buy food my livestock supply store owner told me not to use medicated since I had my chicks vaccinated. He said that that make the vaccines ineffective so I didn't use medicated food. I used non-medicated. I never lost any to sickness. Now when I have broody hens hatch out chicks since I don't vaccine them I do feed them the medicated food. Not problems with any of the ones that have hatched out here either.

So if I order any chicks then they will be vaccined and I wont use the medicated feed.

Hope this helps!

6. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    I always use chick medicated starter and have never had a problem with my chicks or birds when they started laying.

7. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I do not use it. I feed flock raiser from hatch to freezer or natural death.

I also give my chicks a container filled with "yard dirt" when they are 3 days or so old.

I have never had a problem.

8. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I use a medicated starter/grower. Once I switch over to laying feed I do not use medicated.

9. hencrazy

hencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I've never used medicated feed and haven't had any problems. Keep their living area clean and dry and you shouldn't have any problems.

10. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    I dont use the medicated feed. Never have and i have been ok. I have bought chicks vaccinated and not vaccinated. I personally dont think it is necessary and probably doesnt matter one way or the other. They should build up a natural immunity as they are exposed but you just have to weigh the risks and decide what is best for your flock. If it gives you peace of mind then do it, but you should be good to go either way. By the way define tragic loss of your flock. Was it disease or predator?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by