Medicated feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bock, Jan 8, 2011.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I am getting 25 more chicks in February, and I have been contemplating whether or not to use medicated chick starter. In the past, I have raised small batches of chicks (2-5) and sometimes I used medicated chick starter and other times I used Flock Raiser, which is not medicated. I have never had any chicks get sick.I have also raised around 60 ducklings and 2 goselings on Flock Raiser, they never got sick. What are your opinions? Do you use medicated or unmedicated, and what were your results? Thanks for any suggestions! [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have no choice but to use medicated in my area. It has a thiamine blocker to keep the oocysts that cause cocci from thriving. The amount is so tiny that it doesn't stop cocci here in my humid area but only the chicks raised in a brooder and put on the ground by 4 weeks get cocci, even on medicated feed; those raised by a broody hen never get it because they peck at mom's poop (she is immune already) and they get on the ground usually by 2 weeks old or even sooner.

I'd just use what you have available and watch for signs of coccidiosis, then treat if it comes up with Corid, which is super concentrated Amprolium, the ingredient in medicated feed. You are in a dry area and cocci probably isn't as big a concern as it is here in GA.

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thanks! I guess I will use the medicated feed for the first 2 weeks or so. Then I will switch to Flock Raiser. I'm hoping for the best! [​IMG]

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I debated this too, but in the end, I couldn't take the risk. It is a small amount that is preventative. By 8 weeks, they have their own immunity, as far as I know. I feed two bags. Typically, this is enough to take them through 6 or 7 weeks.

I've never lost a check yet, so I think I'll continue the program as it stands.

After that, no medications. Ever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by