Medicated feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by greggy, Jun 23, 2008.

1. greggy

greggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    Will the bags of feed always say that it's medicated?....The 20% feed I'm using from TS doesn't say that, so I'm assuming it's not....I want to butcher in a week, so I sure don't want any medicated feed right now.

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    The tag will say medicated, not the bag itself.

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    TSC sells the unmedicated kind. That's what I had mine on.

4. greggy

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    I thought so, but it's nice to have the opinion of such knowledgeable folks...thanks

5. Dennis1979

Dennis1979 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I am new to chicken raising. In fact I am only in the process of building the coop. I don't have the chicks yet. I have been doing a lot of research though and from what I understand, if the feed is medicated then that little white tag that is sewn into the strip must say MEDICATED. Otherwise it is non-medicated.

One other thing I have learned is that the TSC Dumor chick starter had "hydrolysed chicken feathers" in the ingredients. I have vowed to not feed my chickens meat in their feed or as scraps. They can eat bugs and worms all they want but I don't want to feed chicken to my chickens. It just seems wrong. I'm curious to know what others think about that.

I found a Purina dealer close by that carries the Sun Fresh products and they have no chicken, beef or any other animal parts in the feed. Only grain.

Dennis

6. greggy

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    Well, I raised chickens, rabbits and pigs for a few years, and the old timers told me to feed my chickens meat scraps once in a while to keep cannibalism in check. So I did. When my rabbit does kindled there was always a few born dead and I fed them to my laying hens, and I also gave them beef and chicken scraps to eat too. I never had a problem with picking, or cannibalism, and I never had sick chickens. To be honest I don't think much of the "organic" feed. I think it's a rip -off

7. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    greggy - I don't understand how feeding the chickens meat will keep cannibalism in check. Seems like it would do tyhe opposite - Give them a taste for meat.

I don't have a problem with feeding chickens meat, but just want to understand the thought process.

8. greggy

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    I guess it would have to do what kind of animal chickens are. "opportunistic feeders" the logic as far as I can see it is that the meat / blood satisfies the need for nutrients etc not found in plant life., and/or to satisfy the urge to peck. the old timers never explained it, and it may be urban legend, but the hens love it!

9. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    That makes a certain amount of sense. ;- )

10. greggy

Jan 22, 2008
    Reed City, Michigan
    Quote:I have to qualify that was back in the bad old days when a lot of us mixed our own feed. It probably isn't necessary with the complete feed rations we buy now. I do know that chickens cooped up, or even in a fairly large yard will get bored, and something different for them to play with (besides pecking at each other) is a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by