Medicated Feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Salt and Light, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    One of the reasons I got chickens was to get away from antibiotics. The first bag of chic starter was medicated. I am sticking with it but would like to start buying non-medicated. But finding it is difficult. Any suggestions?

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    You can try looking online for it or consider mixing your own feed. There have been several threads on here about mixing your own feed, so try doing a search.

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Did your chicks come vaccinated? If so, giving them medicated feed cancels out the vaccination....Tractor Supply Company sells non-medicated starter/grower.

4. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    Quote:Yes, I had them vaccinated. Humh, I don't see why an antibiotic would cancel out a vaccine. Aren't the vaccines for virii?

5. tunaoftheland

tunaoftheland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Purina also makes a non-medicated feed, if you have a dealer near you.

6. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    Quote:Yes, I had them vaccinated. Humh, I don't see why an antibiotic would cancel out a vaccine. Aren't the vaccines for virii?

medicated feed does not have antibiotics in it, it has ampolorum which is a cocci oral vaccine. if ur chicks had the cocci vacine shot yes it will cancel it out and the medicated feed is the only source of protection building to build immunity to keep them from getting it. if they r removed from the medicated feed they do not have cocci protection it does not affect any other vaccines.
    hope that helps,
    silkie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by