medicated feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lmbee, Jan 28, 2013.

1. lmbee

lmbee New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    My daughter and I are raising four chicks in a brooder at home. The feed store guy convinced me to buy medicated starter feed for them, against my better judgement. Now I am feeling guilty. Is it too late to change to something organic? If so, should I supplement their feed with something to prevent coccidiosis. Also, how bad can this medicated feed be? Thanks!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The amprolium typically used is a blocker. It enables the chicks to strengthen their immunity and not be overwhelmed. Losing your entire flock to coccidosis is tough stuff. Organic technically means from day 1. That said, you can switch to feeding organic at any time, for your own preference, but again, strictly speaking, organic birds and eggs means 100% organic from day 1.

This isn't an easy decision. Lots of folks use natural methods to try to stimulate immunity, such as putting a bit of soil in the brooder. Most folks, many folks, at least, just will not take chances and prefer the medicated feed.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  3. lmbee

lmbee New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    Thanks. I feel like, being new to raising chickens, I wanted to play it very safe. The eggs will only be used for us and friends and we would not put them forth as organic. I'm partial to organic/local foods myself, and was hoping to go that route with these chickens. Live and learn, right!?

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I think it is important to understand what is in the different feed options as you make these choices in the future. Medicated feed does not contain antibiotics. As Fred said above, it is usually amprolium - a thiamine blocker that is a preventative of the cocci parasite. It is only a preventative and not a cure. I have read a lot of different things about it. Some people swear by it and others never use it.

I used it for my first chicks because it didn't know what it is was and was afraid I was going to kill them. But, I have done a lot more research since then and will probably not use it in the future. Using it is not necessarily bad, its just a choice of how you are going to raise your hens. I do not sell birds or eggs so I am not concerned about the legal or technical label of "organic."

If I were you I would read about amprolium and about the cocci parasite so that you can make up your own mind. People on both sides of the fence tend to feel strongly just like with all different feed types.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

Actually, some chick feed DOES contain an antibiotic. If it does, you will see a blue tag sewed into the seam disclosing that it contains BMD along with the normal nutrition/ingredients label.

6. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    You are correct. I should have said most do not. There are some that do but it is not as common and labeled that way.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

It was pretty upsetting when a local feed mill employee told me that their chick feed has a coccidiostat but no antibiotics and then I saw the blue label when I went to pull the sack (that they loaded) from the trunk. I'd never heard of BMD so I got online and looked. I took that sack back and it was a hassle because it was another day and a different employee who didn't want to accept a return on feed. Lesson learned -- read the label before leaving the store.

8. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Good advice. It is sad because a lot of feed store employees give out advice but don't always know what they are talking about. I have seen a lot of posts with bad information from feed stores and people trust what they are hearing. It is unfortunate. Glad you saw the label.

9. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    Yup, I am feeding http://poultry.purinamills.com/OURPRODUCTS/Products/ShowChowBroilerComplete/index.htm Show Chow Complete Medicated to my chicks and it does contain small amounts of BMD but requires 'no' withdrawl time, my birds a neither for eggs or meat, they are to be show birds and since they will traveling to different shows where they could come into contact with many diseases I found using this feed the upmost importance, I personally would not feed this feed if I or my family would be consuming the eggs.

Good luck with your little chickies!

I personally would not take the chance of not feeding medicated but again there are many people who don't with no issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by