Medicated or non-medicated food.........

txreddirtgirl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Decatur, Tx
............that is the question! This is my first ever venture into raising chickens. I have 6 chicks approx 3-4 weeks old (as best I can tell...wing and tail feathers are appearing). I've read several things online and the online community seems split whether to feed them medicated or non medicated chick food... Your opinions?

Also, anything else you can tell me about diet/water/etc would be appreciated!

Thanks!
big_smile.png

You'll find here that some people like the medicated, some don't. I feed the medicated. Somehow, I don't know why, I have had far less cases of pasty-butt with the medicated feed. Just make sure your chicks are on a starter feed.. Purina makes a nice start-n-grow, I get my feed from my local Southern States. I start switching them over to the adult crumbles at about 14-16 weeks.

Fresh water ALL THE TIME. If you're worried about it going dry while you're out of the house, then get a bigger waterer, or more of them
smile.png
I like to start my chicks off on vitamins/electrolytes for the first week or 2. Or you can add a little sugar to perk them up if they seem lethargic.

I generally don't feed my chicks treats, but sometimes I'll bring in a little grass for them to peck at, some hard boiled egg, but that's usually only after 2 weeks. The chick feed covers all their nutritional needs. If it's a warm day, I will let my chicks out in a confined pen on some grass for some play time. But make sure you keep an eye on them!

As they grow, I like to put really low perches in the brooders for them, some bricks to hop on/off.. I have some old firewood in with the month olds right now and they love it.

Quote:
Ditto- that pretty much covers it. I personally feed medicated feed, and bring in a little coop dirt for them to pick through and bath in. It does get a little dusty inside, but I don't have to worry about other critters snatching them outside when they're in the nice, safe brooder.
welcome-byc.gif

You will find a lot of people do not use medicated feed. If we are going thru this to have healthier eggs and chickens, people do not want to medicate unless necessary. Many people put a lil dirt in the brooder for them to peck at..this takes care of the pasty butt they say. I kept reading all the pros and cons of medicated vs non and the medicated just seems to be a "what if" case. I personally don't like that. Your chicks are already far into the time when you would give them medicated starter anyway.

As for diet and light..the best thing to do is spend a lot of time reading. You will come across tons more you can gain from..and welcome!
big_smile.png

Dumar 20% non medicated seems to be working for me. 6 RIR roughly 6 weeks old, fat, happy, and wide open so far. We try our best to change there water 3-4 times per day and litter daily. Maybe alittle overkill but its not hurting them, I hope?

I personally don't feed medicated food. We are way over medicated as a society. Back in 1900 all chickens were fed unmedicated food and so where people. I order my food online and have had no problems. I currently have three grown hens and four babies that are 4 weeks old. They are doing great with out the medicated feed. Their feathers are coming in and they are so loving they love to sit in my hand for hours. I highly recommend the non medicated but that is my opinion.

I use medicated feed, but it's simply for lack of other options. I don't know if it really makes any difference since I've not tried unmedicated. Someone earlier mentioned pasty butt.. I heard that adding a little ACV (apple cider vinegar) to their water helps to clear that up really quickly.

It depends if your chicks were vaccinated against coccidiosis or not. I order mine from McMurrays Hatchery and pay the extra few cents to have them vaccinated. If you use medicated feed on vaccinated chicks your destroy the vaccine.

Back
Top Bottom