1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

medicated or non medicated? im so confused...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BarredRockGirls, Mar 13, 2013.

1. BarredRockGirls

BarredRockGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    soooo i AM going to get my ducks and im soooo very excited! ive decided to keep them in a SEPARATE brooder than my chicks - ive been researching and reading and googling- and i dont think the mess is worth it - unlike i previously wanted to do - BUT im going to use a Large rabbit cage and elevate it so the ducks can see and hear the chicks and vice versa so hopefully when they are put together in the coop in a few weeks they will all get along fine . and make my own feeder and waterers to fit their needs .

now im just confused... i have a half a bag of chick starter / grower left . it was a full 50lbs 11 days ago but i guess 15 BRs eat a LOT i just read up on some stuff concerning the med/ non med feed. and am completely fine getting a non med feed after this is done and then flock raiser or feeding a general non med Layer after that... im new to all this

but i see so many ppl say yes its ok or no its not .. which is it ? can i finish this bag out and include my new ducks oooooor no?
    also the niacin . do they need that forever?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i keep my chicks in a barn at my in lawns right now- just till my coop is done - im down there checking on them and giving them treats trying to bong w them 2-3 x a day ... will the ducks be ok w that ? i figured id have to give them tub time and such but they wont freak out if i leave them will they ? [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]thank you in advance!!![/FONT]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    1. What is the protein level of the feed? Medicated feed isn't made with the same things it used to be. It should be okay but I wouldn't personally risk it. I start all of my birds out on flock raiser. Remember that ducks won't need laying feed when they aren't laying.

2. I give Niacin for the first 12 weeks.

3. If there is enough space and they have each other they will probably be fine.

3. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    I don't have chicks but have read a lot of people saying no chicks and ducks together a lot of picking goes on and chicks don't appreciate the mess ducks make. I am against feeding medicated to ducklings there are additives that are not good for ducks in medicated. As far as keeping them at your in laws everyone's brooding varies but I found with duckling brooding mine needed a lot of cleaning, fresh water and constant temperature watching I am on my fifth set of duckling brooding their a real joy but they make a huge mess! They must have feed/water at all times feed without water they will choke tis the only way they can wash feed down they drink water and play play play and waste water it's just what they do I'd be worried they would run out or turn over their water while u were away. Not trying to turn u off as I said their a wonderful blessing but a lot of work. Niacin is very important not sure if its a long term thing I simply crush brewers yeast pills and sprinkle over their feed mine have been fine.

4. BarredRockGirls

BarredRockGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Ohio
    the protein is 18%.- i was just not wanting to waste a bag of feed :( but ive been reading up on it and medicated feed doesnt seem very beneficial to any bird...
    they would be in separate cages so the mess wouldn't effect my chicks . i just wanted them close to hear and see each other to get used to it . but your right w the fact that i cant be down there all the time and i worry about the noise they may make bothering my in laws ... my coop will be up soon maybe ill wait a few more weeks and when i move my girls up here to my coop ill just brood my new ducklings in the coop w the girls so i can be out there all the time . the chicks will be bigger then too- should be 4 weeks by then. they'll still hear and see each other . plus itll be warmer i can let the ducks out in the grass .

thank you for your responses !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by