1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Medicated or non-medicated starter crumble for vaccinated chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Marianne25, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Marianne25

Marianne25 Out Of The Brooder

hi. Gathering my supplies since my little ones will be arriving any week now.

The feed store I ordered from (local, not national chain) told me that my chicks will be vaccinated against "a variety" of diseases, though couldn't be more specific than that (or at least the person I spoke with couldn't).

This store told me it would be a good idea to still feed medicated crumbles. However, a lady at my local Tractor Supply was adamant that I should NOT feed medicated, especially if they've been vaccinated.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I saw some discussion on this, but not knowing specifically what they'll be vaccinated for, I wasn't sure what to do. Thanks :)

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    I would not use medicated feed -- as you are not able to confirm which vaccinations the chicks will be given you should error on the side of caution by avoiding the medicated feed which is contraindicated for any chicks vaccinated for coccidiosis

3. csaylorchickens

csaylorchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop
    If vaccine aged against coccidosis do not use medicated feed, it makes the vaccine useless

But if not vaccinated I highly recomens until they are at least 6 to 8 weeks old

If you don't know don't use medicated

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    I would want to know what vaccines were given; if they can't tell you, provide paperwork, or at least contact information to the hatchery, there's no reason to think that any vaccines were actually done. Our local feed stores don't buy chicks with any vaccines, because it's cheaper for them. Verify the information, or buy elsewhere. It's not nice to mislead (lie to) customers. Mary

3 people like this.
  5. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

I was curious about this too. I have purchased several chicks from TSC and our local co op. I kept forgetting to ask if they were vaccinated. I've fed mine medicated crumbles. And they've all thrived.

I am getting more in June from an online hatchery, that WILL be vaccinated. So, I should opt for the non medicated crumbles for them? They'll be vaccinated for Marek's. I don't know if it's a multi vaccine or not. I'll have to find out.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    The hatchery should have it listed as to which vaccine(s) they will be giving. Most of the time that information is found in the FAQ's of the hatchery page, if not, then contact them for the specific information. If the chicks receive Marek's vaccine only then you can give medicated chick starter if that is what you want to do. If the chicks are vaccinated for Coccidiosis use non-medicated chick starter.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  7. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I haven't used medicated feeds and have never had a problem

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    Amprolium in the chick starter is hugely helpful if your ground/ coop has coccidia. It will manage the chicks' exposure to the parasite, so overwhelming infection doesn't kill them. Some of us may have a problem with coccidia, and some of us don't. How risk adverse are you? Finding out the hard way that your cute new chicks are very sick isn't a good thing! I haven't had a problem here, but that's not going to be the same everywhere. Using the medicated chick feed is good insurance. Mary

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  9. csaylorchickens

csaylorchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop
    I have one hen that I treated multiple times but still has coccidiosis and her stools a r e managed through probitoics and apple cider vinegar
    I use medicated chick starter for that reason and they were not vaccinated against it no other hen has had issues but her

10. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

How does ACV help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by