medicated or non-medicated what do you think?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wowmanacat, Feb 25, 2012.

1. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    My husband bought non medicated by mistake and I don't want to waste it. I had him get medicated today for I really like to start my chicks out on medicated. I was thinking of changing to the non medicated at about 2 weeks or so. My chicks have a grow out pen outside that they go out to at about 4 to 6 weeks.They do stay on chick starter till about 12 to 15 weeks. out here it is starter then grower/layer. I would like to have my 50# bag of medicated last me as long as I can since feed is starting to go up.

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I've never used medicated feeds and my chicks all survived and all thrived unto ripe old age and those that haven't been eaten are still living today...never ailed a day. I don't think the unmedicated feed will put your chicks in harm's way.

3. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    i dont know about all this medicated feed. all my chicks get the starter and stay on it till there grown. never had any problems.

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I don't use medicated feed either. I think it actually serves to WEAKEN the immune system.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Yep. Amprollium is a thyamine inhibitor and thyamine is an important factor in good immune system health. Best just let the chicks develop their own strong immune system.

6. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    I don't vaccinate or use medicated feed. Last years brood is still happy and healthy, and this year's are doing great also.

7. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I would feed the medicated and then the non-medicated. I definitely wouldn't waste a bag just because it's not medicated.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I've used both unmedicated and medicated feeds on my chicks and saw no differences at all. I often wonder if it was all "hype" by the feed companies. After all, most of us are not doing the "battery chick" methods on our chicks so no worries there!

9. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    over-use of medication also leads to resistant germs. so, not only are you weakening the body's natural defenses, you are making the disease stronger.

10. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I never used medicated chick feed either. Get the chicks on dirt asap so they can get exposed gradually.
    If you do see a problem such as listless, puffed up, bloody poops...mix some corid (amprolium) in their water for 5 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by