Medicated or NON-medicated?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SundownWaterfowl, Oct 1, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Which do you feed your chicks, medicated, or non-medicated? And why?

Also, is Dumor medicated or not?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    This is a personal choice.

We feed medicated for the first 8 weeks. We feel this gives them some protection against coccidoisis. But it isn't a guarantee, so I also feed cayenne pepper and buttermilk.

Our flock gets Purina, but I would guess that all feeds have a medicated version.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Buttermilk helps protect against cocci? How does that work and how do you feed it?

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper to each 1/2 cup of feed. Moisten it with buttermilk or yogurt. This won't cure, but is used as preventative.

I also have this in my files from Carla (Allen Wranch here on BYC)

Carla knows a person who feeds powdered milk as a coccidiostat. This is what Carla posted: Mix about 50/50 with the feed. She hasn't had any cocci since using it.

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

my chicks get medicated start, for 2 months,, and my big birds get the medicated start once a week.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Well for some idiotic reason the feed stores in my area no longer carry the medicated type, but if I had a choice, I would feed the medicated. Cocci is such a quick killer with little ones., it is best, IMO, to try to prevent it. (And it always seems to kill my pullets first!!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by