Medicated or nonmedicated feed?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by steveo, Mar 25, 2009.

1. steveo

steveo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Poland, Maine
    My meat chicks are scheduled to arrive some time next week and I am going to pick up some feed for them. I was thinking that I do not want medicated feed but want to know how everyone else starts out. Do you start out with medicated feed and then switch over to non medicated? I also see that my feed store has organic feed available.

I was thinking about going with non medicated feed or even organic if it is not to expensive. If medicated is what everyone recommends to start, then I will go that route. I am just looking to see what everybody has had success with.

2. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I didn't use medicated with my first flock. I dont plan on using medicated in the future either. But you can feed medicated if you want,,its kinda your choice.

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

My thought is that if you're going to use medicated feed, why not just buy them from the store? I use only non-medicated feed. Even with medicated feed, you often won't prevent them from dying. Organic is too expensive for me, though. I get feed mixed and ground at the mill.

4. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I tend to go with the non medicated, mainly because I can also give it to duckings and quail if I need to.

As mentioned, organic feed is often very expensive and if you're feeding it to meat chickens it makes for an expensive dinner.

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I feed a medicated starter, first 4 week. really help if you plan on putting them on the ground.

6. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    That's all we feed is medicated starter.

Steve in NC

7. steveo

steveo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Poland, Maine
    Thank you for all the replies!

8. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I have 6 cornish x chicks. I fed them regular chick starter for the first few days until I read that they need a higher protein. I stopped at the feed store today and asked if they had game bird starter. They didn't. He suggested turkey starter. It is 28% protein and is medicated. It was kinda high ($15.50 for 50lbs.) but I figured they need the higher protein so I bought it.

I hope this is ok. I figured I would feed it for a couple of weeks and then switch to a high protein grower feed.

What do you think?? Good idea or not.

The feed has a fishy smell. I guess they added fish meal for a boost in protein. I fed turkey starter to some chicks that I hatch earlier this year. They are healthy and beautiful now. They are 6-8 weeks old.

Darin

9. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    We have never used a medicated feed for any of our birds. We raise birds for meat and eggs. Our feed comes from a local mill. Last year, with the Cornish X, we had a ~96% survival rate. At this moment we have 1 rooster and 8 pullets for eggs.

Kaj

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] thats what I feed the first 4 weeks for rock X cornish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by