Medicated Or Not Medicated Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Grand-hen-ma, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Hi, I was reading some of the 'just posted' here in the forum and I noticed some people prefer to feed their girls medicated feed and some prefer to feed non medicated feed. Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of both?

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Anyone???

3. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    We went the non-medicated route. Since we only had 6 chicks we thought it best to not use medicated feed and let them build their own immunity. Not saying this was the best route, but for us it was a matter of using organic feed and not wanting to medicate. It is a question of individual choice. I am sure there are pros and cons for either opinion. Go with what feels right for you after you have heard a few people post their experiences using either one.

4. dgecko

dgecko Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    non medicated feed is all I use this way I can feed everybody the same type food to my ducks, turkeys and chicks. I can also feed wild baby birds all i do is wet the food a little and feed it to wild birds. I am feeding a baby blue jay right now.

5. silkie4

silkie4 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Eastern Nebraska
    We were told to feed medicated for the first bag then switch to the non medicated..... not sure as to why....

6. Courtney134

Courtney134 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    I use medicated feed right now for my chicks. I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry. [​IMG]

7. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    I feed non medicated, to the chicks, they go through their first 2 weeks with medicated then over to nonmedicated...mixing them together to start switching.

PS, how's your hen that was feeling poorly?

8. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I buy a small bag of medicated when I first get the chicks and when that's gone, I switch to non-medicated.

[​IMG]

9. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    I've only seen medicated here.. it might be an agriculture thing, so that's what ours are on. But, since we're not getting eggs yet it's not a big deal

10. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I feed medicated, they guy at the feedstore hadn't even heard of non medicated feed. Better safe then sorry I always say!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by