Medicated or unmedicated for broody hatched chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gritsar, Jan 22, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I am eagerly anticipating my broody SF Doe hatching her chicks this coming week. In preparation for there being babies in the coop soon, I intend to change the whole flock in that coop over to some type of flock raiser in a few days. Of course my hens have an oyster shell dispenser in the coop.

Then I got to thinking. All my hatchery chicks have been started on medicated chick starter, because of our moistm humid enviroment. Shouldn't my brooder hatched chicks have medicated starter too?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Good question. My brooder raised chicks also got medicated. My broody raised chicks get unmedicated because the layers are eating it, too. So far no cocci illness, that I have identified, anyway. They do get some immunity from eating mama's poop, I have read. Whether I'm doing the smart thing, I have no idea.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I usually start my chicks on Medicated feed too. But I didn't buy medicated when I bought the feed for my broody and chicks. So far their fine and turned 4 weeks this weekend!!

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    If they're to be raised in a brooder [wire floored] they'll need medicated feed. if the hen will be brooding them on a solid floor they won't. They will be exposed to Cocci in the hen's droppings & will develop a natural immunity.

SF Doe ??????​

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    When I let my broody raise chicks I don't give them medicated food either because my other chickens try to eat it too. So far I have had five nests hatched by broodys and none of the chicks have had any problem with the non medicated food they eat.

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I rarely hear about broody hatches chicks getting cocci, as long as you keep the environment dry. Plus, I wouldn't want the broody eating the medicated.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:
    Sorry NYREDS, that was a little confusing wasn't it? She's a SF pullet named Doe. Her SF sisters are Rae and Me. Yeah I know, pretty cheesy, but I running out of ideas. [​IMG]

Thanks y'all. Unmedicated it will be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by