Medicated pullet eggs

annabobbob717

Songster
9 Years
Oct 19, 2014
Upstate new york
Hi! Well I have a super quick question. My 23 week old white rock pearl has finally started laying. The catch is we were told we cannot eat her eggs while she is on her new medicine from her leg injury. It is called meticam, an anti infinflammatory. What does this medication do to the eggs? I just feel awful throwing out her adorable little eggs, it seems so wasteful.Thoughts????

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC. I'm glad you decided to join our flock. Meticam is another label for Meloxicam, and you were told correctly. You should not eat the eggs until the hens have been off of the Meticam for 5 days as the side effects of doing so can include increased risk of stroke or heart attack and bleeding from the stomach or intestines. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your hen quickly healed and off the Meticam.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Michael has given you some great advice. I don't know much about medications.

Welcome to BYC and Happy New Year!
frow.gif
Considering you can't eat the eggs and don't want to throw them away, you could do some crafts with eggs. Try searching up online, I know you can definitely make toys and a lot of easter themed things.

Please don't feed the eggs back to the hens, will be getting some of the medication back that way on top of their usual dose.

Back
Top Bottom