Medicated Starter for Cornish X

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by new2chickens2011, Nov 13, 2011.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    So, I was at the feed store getting food, and was asking about non-medicated chick starter, since they didn't have Flock Raiser. They didn't have non-medicated, but the girl said that the medicated starter was fine to feed the Cornish X, because the "medicine" was so low.
    Do any of you feed your Cornish X or other meat birds Medicated Starter the whole way through?

2. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't but I have this problem a lot, too. I have to search for non-medicated flock raiser.

3. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I don't feed medicated and don't let people tell you that you "have" to. I drive to another town to buy feed that is free of meds. and pesticides...

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I've never had any problem feeding the medicated feed with amprollium. I especially like medicated feed for shipped birds, because they've been stressed and that lowers their resistance. I feed it to all my ducklings as well.

However, if you don't want to feed medicated feed, either search until you find non-medicated, or order it on-line.

I start the Cornish Cross on medicated game bird starter and switch them to high protein turkey pellets when they get big enough to swallow the pellets.

Medicated chick starter won't hurt them. The amprollium is vitamin based, not an antibiotic. Some people have a preference for putting birds on their table that have never been medicated. If you feel that way, don't feed medicated feed. The amprollium won't damage them, if it doesn't matter to you.

It's possible that birds sold as organic can't be fed medicated feed. I don't care enough to look it up, but I'm sure that information wouldn't be hard to find.

5. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Did you only ask about "starter feed"? I ask, because around here, it's all classified slightly different, but still basically the same...they have starter, grower, and finisher or lay feed...pretty much everyone here carries medicated starter feeds, gut the "grower" crumbles are usually NONmedicated and only slightly lower in protein...just a thought...sometimes it's what you're asking you know?

6. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Yeah, I did ask about everything. They only had starter and layer, because, they said, they don't often have a demand for it. They did say I could order it, but I just wanted to ask if the Medicated Starter was okay first.
    Thanks all!

7. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I buy a non-medicated starter/grower from TSC or Family Farm & Home. Do have either of those around? I've never had a problem finding non-medicated at either of those places. I buy my laying mash at the local elevator. They do not carry non-medicated starter. Wish they did.

8. Midwest Lizabeth

Midwest Lizabeth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Search "game bird grower" on this site and it will bring up all kinds of helpful suggestions. I could not get non-medicated feed and our local feed store suggested non-medicated game bird food. It's got higher protein content. It worked well for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by