Medicated starter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BayCityBabe, May 9, 2008.

1. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I thought I was all set up for my Tuesday delivery:
    * brooder? - check!
    * heat lamp - check!
    *waterer - check!
    * feed?
    Uhm... I have some starter, but it is not medicated. And, it was all they had at TSC. So, I went to the local mill. They are "out" 'til late next week. Any suggestions? Should I panic & call around for medicated feed? Chill out? Try to medicate the chicks' water?
    I'd love some advice.
    Thanks!

2. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Honestly I would not fret, just feed the starter that you have. I have fed un-medicated in the past with no problems.

3. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    Check and see if they have medicated turkey or game bird feed. It is a little higher in protein but it works as well. I feed it to my cornish with out any problems.

4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    IF they were vaccinated you don't want medicated feed anyway. I got my chicks on Dumor from TSC

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  5. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    If they are vacinated for Marek's, then no medicated feed?

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

No, if they are vaccinated for cocci no medicated feed for cocci. The only thing medicated feed does is help prevent cocci by being a thiamine blocker so the organism cannot multiply in the intestines. So if you only had mericks vaccine, you can still use medicated feed.

Medicated feed is not always necessary, but does help build up their natural resistance to cocci. Expose them young and they will reach a balance sooner.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

It is totally fine to your non-medicated starter until you get medicated starter. I have used non medicated and the chicks were totally fine.

8. CodyChristine

CodyChristine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    Thank you so much for posting this! I was in the same boat - my chicks are coming tomorrow and I had everything set up and then looked a little closer at my feed and it's not medicated so I was feverishly trying to figure out what to do.

The only thing I'm a little nervous about is I ordered these from my feed store and they're coming from Hoover's Hatchery. When I ordered them from the lady at the feed store I asked her if they were vaccinated for Marek's disease, and I don't know if she knew what I was talking about. She said "I think so". Does anyone know when hatcheries sell to feed stores, do they usually immunize all the chicks?? I hope so!

9. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I've never used medicated feed for chicks.

We first got our day-olds (from McMurray's) last year and we paid to have them vaccinated for Marek's and Cocci so medicated feed wasn't an option.

I hatched 3 different batches of eggs over the winter, didn't feed medicated chick starter, and haven't had any problems.

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by