medicated v. nonmedicated starter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sheila, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Sheila

Sheila Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    NW MA
    Chicks coming this week were not vaccinated against coccidiosis, and I bought some medicated starter. However, there is a farm coop that sells Poulin feeds, a brand made in VT, and none of their starters are medicated. I would like to try this approach but am afraid to take a chance. Their description says the feed has:

"MOS:
    Is a natural product containing Mannonoligosahrides and Beta Glucans. These natural compounds help to prevent infection and spread of disease-causing bacteria by natural stimulation of the animals immune system and binding toxins."

Has anyone gone the completely nonmedicated route?

2. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    We've always gone completely non-medicated, but kept a couple things in stock for in case it does happen though (Amprol, Sevin Dust mostly).

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    we have ours on medicated, should we switch them to non medicated before grower?? and when should we do that??

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No need to switch. Just mix your grower in increasing amounts with what you're feeding then go completely to grower. I can't even get grower where I live, so I either do medicated or non medicated, but it's even hard to find non-medicated here. Most people here just carry a Start & Grow medicated feed that takes them all the way to laying age.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  5. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    ok, and when do we switch from starter to grower?

6. Sheila

Sheila Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    NW MA
    Did buy 50 lbs. of Poulin nonmedicated starter and a bag of terramycin for emergencies. The coop carries Green Mountain Organic Feed, and I plan on switching to it when the time comes. Also, they did not have baby grit but gave me 10 lbs of regular from the bottom of a large bag of regular. It has a lot of smaller pieces, and I plan on taking a hammer to the rest.

It's funny that even there, I was told by one salesperson that I could use parakeet grit, which I read online has minerals not appropriate for chicks, and another;) suggested oyster shell, which is also not appropriate. I guess it's up to the individual to find out what's what.

Lucky I've found you guys though. Thanks.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You pretty much have to know your stuff-feedstore people are notoriously ignorant for the job they have.
    I actually don't know exactly when to switch to grower since I've never seen any. I thought it was 8 weeks, but someone else would have to confirm that for you.

8. 4myHennyPenny

4myHennyPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Colorado
    When to switch to grower depends on the feed you are using. Each company typically states on their product (or their website) how long the starter should be used before the switch to grower. For example, on our unmedicated organic starter, we're to use it for 6 weeks before moving onto the same brand's grower.

From what I've read, I think that 6 weeks is pretty standard, though I've heard of as few as 3 weeks and up to 8 weeks.

BTW, we're going the totally unmedicated route. If we were to run into cocci or something, I know that I could contact my vet for something.

Good luck!

9. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Sheila,
    You mentioned you got some Terramycin for emergencies.

Terramycin does not treat coccidiosis. You need a medication that is specifically for it - Corid is a good one.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I use amprol for coci. It doesn't have a withdrawal time if I remember right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by