1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Medicated vs non medicated food for pullets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lczobrist, Nov 21, 2013.

1. lczobrist

lczobrist Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2013
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    I got 4 egg laying pullets. I had already bought 50lb non medicated starter and growing food. Should I go ahead and buy some medicated as well?? I don't want my chicks to get sick.. thoughts anyone

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I never use medicated, ever. I add organic apple cider vinegar to their water. 1 T per gallon.

3. lczobrist

lczobrist Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2013
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Thanks,

I was reading up on it and found a great article about it. I think I made the right choice, I did see about the apple cider vinegar along with a dollop of yogurt a day to improve digestive health. I also bought the abc Corid just in case..

Thanks for your feedback

4. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have 'egg laying pullets' you need to buy and feed Layer Pellets vs. Starter/Grower which is for younger birds.

Starter/Grower will not have adequate calcium for a laying chicken.

I also put apple cider vinegar in their waterers at 1 tbsp. per gallon water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by